1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Nero and EAC to create an image

Discussion in 'Audio' started by joerocket, Mar 1, 2003.

1. joerocket

joerocket Member

Hello,

It was suggested that I should post this message here instead of the CD-R forum. Sorry for the mix-up.

My goal is copy an audio CD by creating an image of the disc on my hardrive, then burning a CD. I have been using Nero 5.5.10.7 to burn data CD's and audio CD's from .wav files with no problems, so I believe my setup is OK.

I have a Win98SE PC, PIII-800EB, 512MB, 25GB of available disk space and all non-essential TSR's are disabled. The hard drive is an IBM75GXP 30GB and is master on primary IDE channel. I have a new Cendyne CD-RW 48x16x48 set as master on secondary IDE. A Toshiba 40X CD is slave on secondary IDE. My PC has no SCSI devices. I have an ASUS CUSL2 motherboard with Intel 815 chipset. A USB 1.0 webcam and USB 1.0 printer are attached. I also have a PCI 56K modem and PCI sound card. Windows ASPI is installed and says it's working fine. DMA is the only option ticked for the CD-RW in system/dev mgr.

Using Nero, I select Virtual Recorder to read the source disc and create the image.nrg file. The image.nrg even displays individual track info, which I believe to be correct. Then I select Burn Image, choose the image.nrg file and select the CD-RW as the recorder. The burning (4X, disc at once, finalize) goes fine until I go to listen to the created disc, which correctly offers playtime and is able to jump from track to track as selected using several CD players. The problem is that I hear "skips" (not pops) over the audio. Like bumping a needle on a turntable. The "skips" are heavy in tracks 1-3, then go away. I have tried Verbatim, TDK and Memorex CD-R media with the same results. I don't know if the "skips" are a part of image file or were created when the image was burned to the CD.

Per a suggestion, I then used EAC to make an image instead of Nero. EAC sees all 10 tracks on the source CD, so I click the "Image" icon and a few minutes later it makes a single 40 minute .wav file from the 10 tracks. I'm guessing if I burn a CD from this image, it won't let me skip from track to track. I'd try it but I'm already making a lot of coasters.

My questions are:

1. Is EAC capable of creating an image from an audio cd that will produce a CD where individual tracks can be selected for playback, and if so, how?

2. What am I doing wrong with Nero?

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    JR

2. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

EAC creates a .CUE file along with the .WAV file, which defines the song indexes and gaps. Open the .CUE file with Nero, or anything else.

3. joerocket

joerocket Member

Thanks for the info on the .cue file. For kicks, I tried using Nero a few more times to make an image and burn a CD and it worked. I didn't do anything different. Maybe just a couple bad blank CD's ??? (Memorex 40X, 50 pack. Still trying to learn CD Speed to get ATIP info).

JR

4. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2003
  5. joerocket

joerocket Member

After my most recent problem with trying to use CD Speed, I suspected a more serious problem on top of trying to create/burn images. From the Windows desktop, the CD-RW began reading CD's erratically. BIOS and Dev.Mgr. said all was good. Anyhow, I removed Nero and yanked the CD-RW and exchanged it at OfficeMax for another CenDyne. The new one works pefectly, everytime. I installed it using an new IDE cable and the slightly older ver of Nero that came bundled. I don't know if it was the cable, software or drive, but everything works now. The old CenDyne was a 48x16x48 and the new one is 48x24x48, however both retail sleeves say 48x12x48. I think they're Lite-on drives.

JR