1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Nero to backup DVD's

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by robnyt, Jan 17, 2005.

1. robnyt

robnyt Member

Just bought a bunch of DVD's and want to back them up to DVD+R. Don't have Dual-deck burner (is that right terminology?). Which do I use (Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, etc) and how? JUST the movie (no menus, etc). Serious Baby-steps please.

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Download DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter off the software tab at page top. Then go to the guide tab and read the guides for using these free programs. Nero will burn but can't remove the encryption from store bought dvd movies. Good Luck.

Jerry

3. robnyt

robnyt Member

Nero will burn but can't remove the encryption from store bought dvd movies.
    ***Thanks for the feedback, but a little confused here. You say "Nero (which application?) WILL burn but can't remove the encryption". So I can copy it or I can't? How do you know if the movie is encrypted. And, I've always read on these forums how folks are backing up their DVD's. I would assume all/most store bought DVD's are encrypted so how are they doing this?

4. Syxx_Nyne

Syxx_Nyne Member

use dvd decryptor or anydvd to remove encryption then u have to have nero recode to burn the dvd to compress it if u dont u have to have a program like clonedvd2 or dvdshrink to compress the dvd to 4.7g from 9g which is usually the size of ur store bought or rented dvds, which are always encrypted. dvd shrink is freeware and anydvd u have to buy or get it from someone

5. RussReef

RussReef Guest

All store-bought DVD are encrypted. The easiest way to make a back-up is with DVD shrink (which will decrypt and copy the movie down to your hard drive) and Nero Burning ROM (which will burn the now decrypted files on your hard drive off onto a blank DVD).

Here is the software you need:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_applications/nero.cfm
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm

Here is the guide you need to follow:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd9_to_dvdr_with_dvd_shrink.cfm

Actually, if you just want the movie and not all the menus, when you're in DVDshrink, hit the reauthor button and only add "Title 1" to the DVD you are authoring. Also, only pick the audio stream you're actually going to listen to, and nix the foreign language subtitles.

You can also use the "Start/End Frames button" to cut out the movie's ending credits... but that's too complicated to describe here at the moment.

6. robnyt

robnyt Member

When you copy a DVD can you also give yourself the Extras (ie: audio commentary, special features, etc)?

7. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Yes you can do a complete copy. However with some of the longer movies the compression factor may degrade the video enough to cause playback problems and just look bad. When I first started doing backups I always did my backups on a RW blank then test played it to see how it looked. If the quality wasn't good I knew I had to edit out some trailers and other junk.

Jerry

8. robnyt

robnyt Member

Which would you say is easier for a REAL dummy; DVDDecrypter or DVD Shrink?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2005
  9. Zachary69

Zachary69 Guest

i can rip it with dvd shrink

but it will not let me open it in dvd decriypter

or put it on a SVCD in Nero 6 Ultra

please take me step by step ASAP

it is relly nice

10. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Decrypter is a complete program the will rip, decrypt, and also burn the final blank disc. Its only drawback is it can't compress. If you are backing up a single layer dvd5 movie then Decrypter can do the complete process by itself. Very easy to use.
    DVDShrink can rip, decrypt, and compress a dual layer dvd9 movie to fit on the single layer dvd5 blanks but its drawback is it can't burn back without the help of either Nero or Decrypter. Also easy to use but takes a little more effort to learn at first. There are well written guides off the guide tab at the page top.
    Decrypter can be used to copy a dvd9 movie to your HD but to make it fit the normal blanks you have to run those files through Shrink anyway. Hope this helps without confusing you too much.

Jerry

11. Zachary69

Zachary69 Guest

How do you copy a DVD to a CD-RW in SVCD format?

12. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

13. Zachary69

Zachary69 Guest

Thanks for the info it relly helped if i have any more questions i will come back to you

thanks again

14. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Glad it helped.

Jerry

15. robnyt

robnyt Member

1) Used DVD Decrypter (rip and burn) and DVD Shrink combo to back up Spiderman 2 and was 98% successful. Only thing that didn't work was subtitles. Any thoughts on what I did/did not do to make this happen?

2) The movie starts with a preview of upcoming flix. Where would I have found this and how could I have deleted it?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2005