1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

using PC speakers on PS3

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by ibizagti, Jan 15, 2008.

1. ibizagti

ibizagti Regular member

Hi, just looking for a bit of advice if possible.

At the minute i'm having to use a smaller (15") LCD TV for playing the PS3. Its quite a basic model, and doesnt have a headphone jack, only the RCA inputs.
    I also have quite a good set of PC speakers, and i've been trying to think of a feasable way to link these up to play the sound from the PS3.

As i'm using the component cable from the PS3, the only way i can think of doing this is to get a male-to-female converter and conect these to the audio RCA cables from the PS3.
    Id then need a RCA-to-3.5mm converter, and a male-to-female 3.5mm converter. I could then plug the PC speakers into the female 3.5mm jack, and they should hopefully play.

Can anyone give me any info into:
    a) would this work? would voltages/ampage be ok? The PC speakers have their own power supply so wont need to draw any power from the RCA setup.
    b)is there any easier way to do this?

I'd really like to get this working, as the TV's inbuilt speakers arn't great quality, and as im looking to buy a full new TV/audio setup in the summer i dont want to be buying a speaker system for the TV at this point.

Thanks everyone,
    IBIZAGTI

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  2. ibizagti

ibizagti Regular member

anyone??

3. marcusita

marcusita Regular member

This may sound stupid,but do you have a PC,if so just keep the speakers connected to it and connect your PS3 cable to the line in of your sound card.

You would need something like this.
    http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Audio_Connectors/images/NX-JP-045.jpg

I got one with the vga cable i got for my 360 and i just plugged it straight into my PC.

Also it is a cool way to have in game music.

4. ibizagti

ibizagti Regular member

Hi, thanks for the reply?

I do have a PC, but it only has the standard sound card that came with the system (i think it has three 3.5mm jacks, an output for sound, an input for a mic, and a third one, which is blue, that i have never used). It also has a headphone jack on the front of the PC.
    Which jack would i connect that adaptor into? would it be the blue 3.5mm jack on the soundcard.
    Also, would this damage either the PC or the PS3 due to differences in voltages etc?

thanks again,
    IBIZAGTI

5. ccbl

ccbl Member

put the video wire from you ps3 to your tv.. then use that adapter to plug the audio directly to your computer speakers..

6. marcusita

marcusita Regular member

The standard sound card will be fine,im not sure which one you put it in as some computers seem to be different,it might say line in,mine is green for line out,you could experiment to find out which one it is.

It wont damage your computer,as i said i had my 360 connected that way,its cool because you will be able to get sound from your game and play music on your PC at the same time,so you have in game music.

7. ibizagti

ibizagti Regular member

Thanks for the replies.

I went to Maplin after work and picked up one of the adapters for £2, and it works perfectly!! Exactly what i wanted, and as you said, the in-game music is brilliant!

Thanks for the help, i would have ended up with so many cables and adaptors i wouldnt have known where i was with it all.

Thanks again,
    IBIZAGTI

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  8. marcusita

marcusita Regular member

Cool always happy to help.
    Id love to have a Maplin near me,the nearest one is 50 miles away.

9. dazila

dazila Regular member

Ive had a set of 5.1 Logitech X530 PC speakers connected to my Wii and PS3 well I swap the cords to the one im using well anyways they have 3 3.5mm cords comming oiut of the main speaker but the Speakers came with a Game Adapter all it is, is a little block with 3 colour coded 3.5mm on one side and on the other 2 (White and Red) RCA connectors once you plug them in 3.5mm's to speakers and RCA to your console you get sound out of all your speakers without running it through your PC etc and other messy things.
    I just use a little CRT for my gaming :D, my setups is in the POst your setup thread.

10. ccbl

ccbl Member

thanks for the idea... i have similar logitech speakers but i didnt know how to connect them to my ps3 to get surround sound so i just used an rca audio to 3.5mm converter on a 2.1 speakers.. where is the cheapest place to buy this? i already checked ebay but i was wondering if there was another place.. (that will ship to canada)

and how is its function? i didnt think rca audio could output suround sound because its only left and right to begin with... ?

11. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

It can't output full 5.1 surround sound as those tracks (DTS/Dolby) have data embedded into the stream to tell the decoder how to output the surround sound. Of course with analog (Red/White RCA cables) you lose that data. What can happen though, is the speaker system has a simulated pro-logic or equivalent mixer onboard which can simulate a surround sound environment from an analog 2 channel source.

Edit: Keep in mind that a simulated surround sound environment (from analog source) can never be good as digital or full 5.1 surround sound.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008