1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using PS3 as PC/Media Centre

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by dos1986, Apr 2, 2007.

1. dos1986

dos1986 Guest

So my pc blew a few days ago,the psu died and the hard drive and motherboard have been acting up for a while now.So im thinking off getting a PS3.

I have an old laptop which I use for surfing the net and such,anyway im thinking off getting a PS3 so I can play games,have a blue-ray player,download movies etc.

So my questions are,If I download and install Yellow Dog Linux 5.0 can I use the PS3 like I use a pc.

So Can I download movies,music,psp games,ps2 games etc off rapidshare onto a 500gb usb portable hard drive.

Can I watch the movies I have downloaded from rapidshare on the PS3.

Can I extract rar files on the PS3.

Can I watch dailymotion,youtube,alluc,peekvid etc on the ps3.

Can I surf the internet as quick as I do on the PC.

Can I connect a usb Dvdrw and burn dvds using the PS3.

Forgive me if I migth sound stupid,but I have heard for the last few months from everyone that the PS3 is basically a PC.And can do most things a PC can is this true?

I have not lived under a rock,im 27 thats all and havent really kept up.

Thanks

2. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

I am not sure about your questions involving yellowdog, as I haven't got around to installing it, but for your other questions,

Yes, as long as you have a keyboard

Yes
    No
    Yes

3. dos1986

dos1986 Guest

Thanks Domreis...think Ive found my new pc.

4. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

Are you saying your PS3 is going to be your new PC? I would get the Replacement Plan from best buy, you never know what will go wrong in 3 years!