1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Shrink to burn a DL disk? What am i doing wrong?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Snake2715, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Snake2715

Snake2715 Member

OK recently tried to backup my Flags of our Fathers. I figured I would put it on of my Verbatim DL 85gb disks. I had never done that before...

So I went to custom size and did a bit under the DVD 9 size... 8400 MB I think.

Started to burn and it errored DVD Decrypter out. So I checked and it appears that I had the max burn speed set to 4x and these DL I had claimed just a 2.4x burn.. so I adjusted the DVD decrypter to just 2.4 as a max burn and pretty much the same spot it quite burning..

The DL disks are a bit more costly so i figured I would come on here and ask.. if someone just wants to point me to the correct Guide that would be great.

I use Fix it VTs, Dvd Decrypter, DVD Shrink and Rip It 4 Me, as my main methods of backup anymore.

Thanks guys/gals.

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I don't burn DL but I do know that if you want to burn with an up to date burning program use ImgBurn. It is a much improved, burning only, version of DVD Decrypter.

Find BBmayo's guide for DL and Decrypter here:
    http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/Guides.html

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  3. o1boss

o1boss Guest

alright why are u trying 2 put it on a dl disk any way??? just use a single layer disk save yourself some money cause dl disk r expensive!!! i have already backed up flags of our fathers on a single layer disk it came out great!!!ok

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Some folks like to make exact copies and then watch them on their big screen TVs. They want to avoid as much compression as possible.

5. Snake2715

Snake2715 Member

Yes guys I dont want compression below 85% or so. I think Flags came out to 40-60% or so on a single DVD+R. I figured I would use a DL and burn it to that...

The other option for me is to put it on two DVD's but I really dont like to do that.

6. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

With DL there will be no need for compression. Simply rip with RipIt4Me and burn with ImgBurn. No need to run the files through Shrink or any other transcoder. The quick analysis in Shrink is just for compliance testing. After the analysis closes, close Shrink and open the files in ImgBurn. Lets not make things more difficult than they need to be.

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Flags of our Fathers had no special encryption,so you can easily rip with Dvd decrypter/Mode/ISO read mode. Remember where those files go.

Then you can use dvd decrypter/Mode/ISO write/Locate the mds files/open/select burn speed and burn away.A 1 program process for DL backups. ImgBurn is just like dvd decrypter's ISO write mode.It's been updated and handle DL media very well-making it better. Same burning process as dvd decryper,locate the mds files,open,set burn speed, and burn away.

No compression,no need for dvd shrink.It'll also be a quicker process time because dvd decrypter is easier on your pc-doesn't require all the resources that dvd shrink does.

8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

@Snake2715

See, even an Addict agrees with me.

9. Snake2715

Snake2715 Member

Alright I will try it. I figured I had to set DVD Decrypter up correctly to notify it I was using DL media.

I will give it another go.

Thanks

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Snake,

FastFrank already pointed this out to you but here you go again a guide that will walk you through backing up to a dual layer disk in DVD Decrypter

DL w/ DVD Decrypter

11. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Why are you putting a constraint on the space the DL disc uses. I would just use the 9 option and not a custom size. And yes I do mine with AnyDVD and Imgburn on Verbs 2.4X

12. Snake2715

Snake2715 Member

Well i put a constraint so it didn't burn all the way to the edge.. I do that on Single layer DVDR's also. Its helped me reduce issues at the end of my movies and has been mentioned in a few guides.

Also I didn't see FastFranks guide so I will double check that and put it to use.

Thanks again I will post back with my results.

13. Snake2715

Snake2715 Member

I have the NEC 16x burner from newegg:
    ND-3550A - OEM
    Item #: N82E16827152059

One last question that is capable of burning DL media correct? How do I tell or can they all burn DL media?

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

15. Snake2715

Snake2715 Member

Great I will check the drive and get the report for you guys tomorrow.

16. ZCS626

ZCS626 Regular member

when using ripit4me + imgburn... when you rip the files using ripit4me, you do it as an ISO file, correct? in the 1 click mode?

then open those ISO files in IMGburn and burn as normal on a dual layer?

17. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@Snake2715

If all you want is to rip and backup on a DVD9 (DVD+R DL) disc, then just use the guide provied by "fasfrank" or simply use the latest DVDFAB Decrypter to rip, then have ImgBurn 2.2.0.0 to burn into a DVD+R DL disc - simple as that.

Why DVDFAB Decrypter and ImgBurn 2.2.0.0? Because both DVDFab and ImgBurn handles both "ISO and VIDEO_TS."

Another good note to keep in mind is to have ImgBurn to "booktype" your backup into DVD-ROM for compatibility.

18. hamillp

hamillp Regular member

alkohol:

I hate to get off the topic here but you mentioned that DVDFab handles ISO files. Are you saying that you can rip the files to the HDD as an ISO with DVDFab? If so, where is this setting because I never knew that.

Nevermind, I think I just answered my own question.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  19. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

Yes indeed, DVDFab Decrypter will/can rip any DVD/movie as ISO or VIDEO_TS flawlessly.

[​IMG]

20. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

The decryption output really doesn't matter as far as being able to do the job. ImgBurn can Build an ISO from a Video_TS and burn that. Ripping to ISO would be faster since it eliminates the need for a Build segment.