1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using "Stereo" sub and "Satellite" speakers?

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by mikehende, Apr 15, 2005.

1. mikehende

mikehende Regular member

Is it possible to us a Dual Voice coil "Stereo" subwoofer with Home Theatre "Satelite" speakers? Reson being, I already have the Optimus 12" Sub sitting there doing nothing so I am thinking of adding 5 Satelite speakers to it to get the Surround sound, is this possible?

2. sdifox

sdifox Regular member

Err, you need a processor to process DD/DTS and an amp to power the speakers, but other than that, you can do it. Or are you talking about adding the sub to an existing HTIB?

3. mikehende

mikehende Regular member

Picture this please, I wish to create a surround system and have a Receiver and a 12" Dual Voice Coil Subwoofer already so I wish to know if I could purchase say 4 Satellite Speakers and get surround sound that way? This is not for "TV" purposes, it strictly for "Audio".

4. a-vman

a-vman Member

Is your Optimus sub powered or passive? If it is passive I would go ahead and buy a full set including a sub or you'll be disappointed in the bass output. If you want the system for playing music in surround, you will need a processor that includes Dolby Pro-Logic 2. This will convert 2 channel stereo into 5.1 surround.
    To take it a little further you could do SACD or DVD Audio. Both of these are awesome for music in surround. Just remember they are not digital formats and require equipment with the proper analog connections.

5. sdifox

sdifox Regular member

It depends on what kind of receiver you have. Does it have DD/DTS/DPL ][ decoding and 6 channel analogue input? The latter is important if you are going DVD-A /SACD. Music in surround from 2 channel source would be better if you had DPL ][. You can certainly use that sub (I am assuming it is amplified) and a bunch of bookshelf speakers. You can go with other Optimus speakers, they are decent for their price.