1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using the PC to download games on my PS2 HDD

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Cue_Ball, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Cue_Ball

Cue_Ball Member

I got the new GT4 and want to download it on my PS2 HDD. I tried to download it and it failed. When I looked it up it said to convert it from a DVD9 to a DVD5 or copy it straight from the PC. How is this done exactly? Do I need to remove my PS2 HDD and hook it to my PC or what? Please help. Any info will be welcome.

2. Bobbinbob

Bobbinbob Regular member

if your using hd loader, i had no problems with it installing right onto the hard drive. if you want to install it dirrectly to your computer, you need to open up your desktop and attach it to one of the ATA(?) wires in there. make sure you set the hard drive to slave and have it set on the slave wire (the grey one). then download either Winhiip or HDL_dump. insert the GTA cd into your cd rom drive, open up one of those programs and select the source as a dvd rom in your cd drive. then presss start and itll transfer it over for you.
    i dont think theres any way to attach the hard drive to a laptop, i think you need a desktop to do it, right?

3. AtariBorn

AtariBorn Regular member

From what I've read, you can copy the game with HDLoader/HDAdvance but they only copy one of the 2 layers.

Maybe wrong though

4. Bobbinbob

Bobbinbob Regular member

thats true, only one layer can be installed, the other version needs to be installed through a computer. (im still curious as to how to do that if anyone knows)

5. hacker26

hacker26 Regular member

Hey, i jsut got a harddrive and im looking to buy a software that will allow me to put my games on my hdd.. U said something about only working on one lense or it only burns on lense of the disc. What exactly does that mean and how does that effect the gameplay... also if i were to download thre game to my hdd and it is online compatible will i still be able to play that game online? thanks so much for your help....

6. AtariBorn

AtariBorn Regular member

DVD9 games have 2 layers of data on them (Gran Turismo 4).

HDLoader & HDAdvance are the programs you're talking about, but they don't support DVD9 discs. When you try to us HDL or HDA to copy them to your hard drive, they only see the first layer, therefore, the game doesn't work correctly.

Supposedly, you can use your PC to rip the DVD9 games to your PC, then convert them to DVD5 (?) and then use a program like HDLDumb or FAPLink to copy the ripped game to your PS2 hard drive.

I haven't had a chance to try ripping a DVD9 yet, so I'm not exaclty sure how to do this.

Go here fo a list of working titles

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/casey.miller/HD Loader Compatibility.htm

7. azza004

azza004 Member

can anyone tell me some information about the PS2 harddrive...size, inbuilt, cost all that sorta junk coz i dont know anything about them. thanks heaps

8. hacker26

hacker26 Regular member

ok. So how many games are there out there that use a dvd 9... Becasue if i want to get a hd loader or w/e i dont want to buy it if i cant get the game that i would want to put on there...are all the new games coming out use a dvd9?? thanks for your help

9. hacker26

hacker26 Regular member

Also is there a program out there that supports dvd9 and everything else? I just want to know before i go and purhase an hdloader or hd adavanced.. Also which one is bettewr the loader or advanced? thanks

10. hacker26

hacker26 Regular member

And one more thing the guy above said that he used a loader and it gt4 just downloaded righto n w/ out any problems.. thats why im so curious about this dvd9 thing

11. KCJester

KCJester Member

he lied.

12. hacker26

hacker26 Regular member

lol.. is there a way to patch the game for dnas like the way u can with burngin games and using swap magic. but i heard that if the game u r burnguin adn patching isnt urs and you go ojnline with it and the person that owned the game goes on line with it gets banned along with you.. is that true?

13. hacker26

hacker26 Regular member

well how exactly do i get a sony 40gb connected to my computer? lol im clueless..then what programs do i use to downlaod the game an convert it then transfer it?