1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using the VGA cable instead of the HD cables.

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by xHaydenx, Jul 17, 2007.

1. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

I've got a LG LCD TV. Till now, I've used the HD component cables to get HD picture, but I've also got the VGA cable because I used to use it on a monitor before I got the LCD.

My question: would it make a difference if I used the VGA cable on my TV instead of the HD component cables? And why or why not?

cheers.

2. wabashman

wabashman Active member

it makes a huge difference, at least it did for me. the picture quality was a million times better. however, it did put everything in letterbox form though, which i didnt much care for. that is the only down side to it.

3. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

So, how does that work with the LCD TVs? I mean, I expected that the HD cables provided with the 360 would conjure up the best quality available.

Does it let the TV run it at a higher resolution than the HD component cables would allow?.

4. steimy

steimy Active member

I personally went with the VGA cable, you would figure it would be a little better since it is an upgrade that you actually have to buy seperate. But really the picture quality difference will be minimal to most people
    I have both but have not hooked them up to compare the pictures on the two.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/uninteresting/102411814/
    "xbox 360 connected to a dell 2405fpw lcd monitor. images on the left are thru component cables (1080i), on the right are thru vga cable (1360x768).

the color is much more vibrant through component and washed out thru vga. but the vga image is much sharper and less jaggy. i'm gonna stick with component and try to sit a little further back from the screen so the jaggies are less apparent."

from a more technical site:
    http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/5/150612.html

you will find people argue back and forth all day on this one.