1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using virtualdub how do I save ac3 to mp3

Discussion in 'Audio' started by easybut, Jan 20, 2005.

1. easybut

easybut Member

My problem is that I have the above file which I want to make into a dvd. However the audio is ac3 which for me is a problem as I guess it needs to be converted into either mp3 or wav. When I save it with virtualdub. Do I save it as a wav file ( all usable files) or wav ( "All files) I have a few tools to convert like ac3 tool besweet and even a headache . I'd really like to get this resolved and would appreciate some guidance. Also do I save the audio as full processing or direct stream of all this I am not quite sure. Thanks in advance

2. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I'm not an expert on virtualdub but I know when you save the audio stream it saves AC3 streams as AC3-Wave files. This means that the file is a Wave file but is formated like an AC3 file (instead of the usual PCM based PCM-Wave file). Also you want to set it on Direct Stream copy and saving as either all usable files or all files will lead to the same conclusions.

Ced

3. easybut

easybut Member

Thanks for your response so what would I have to do next to convert it into the correct wav or mp3 format for running it through tmpgenc?

4. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Alright, I've worked it out. This is what worked for me. Once I saved the AC3-Wave file I was able to rename the file with the ".wav" file name extention to ".ac3". Then I used BeSweet to convert the AC3-Wave file to Wave (or PCM-Wave).

So,

1) Save the audio stream using VirtualDub

2) Change the audio stream file extension from .wav to .ac3

3) Open BeSweet

4) Use BeSweet to convert the AC3-Wave file to Wave or Mp3

Hope this helps,
    Ced