1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Utilities to Convert DVD to MPEG2

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by DVD_fan, Jan 19, 2003.

1. DVD_fan

DVD_fan Member

Many utilities can rip and convert DVD into MPEG1, MPEG4,etc. However, the original content of DVD is coded from MPEG2 which has a much higher quality than the other formats. Why didn't anybody come up with a utilities to convert DVD directly into MPEG2s? Is it because of legal converns?

If I can get hold of MPEG2s, I can edit it using Adobe Premieire, and/or burn it back using DVD authoring software. I have done a lot editing and authoring of my own videos on DVD and the results were great. You can even fit a long movie into a single disk by editting it. A regular DVD-R can hold 130min of MPEG2 footages._X_X_X_X_X_[small]DVD Fan[/small]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2003
  2. dirtynbl

dirtynbl Guest

Yeah. I agree. I've been asking this question everywhere and I cannot get an answer. I'm really close though. Here's what I've been able to do. If you rip the DVD to your hard driveusing Smartripper you can then load use DVD2AVI to create a .d2v file that TMPEG can read. However there is no aduio. SO that blows. Then I tried extracting the AC3 audio into something that TMPEG could read: wav. Got a wav file, but it didn't match the video at all. That was a bust.

My current idea is to use the new virtualdub that supports VOB files and AC3 audio to create the MPEG file. If you use a program called DVMPEG as your video compression and audio compression, it tricks VDUB into thinking its rendering an avi when its really rendering an MPEG2 file. It lets you control the bitrate of everything as well, which is great because if I give up a little video quality I'm thinking I can get movies onto one dvd-r instead of having to go to 2. (And I could give a rip about menus. I'll create my own if I'm desperate). The problem I run into here deals with audio interlacing. It seems that DVMPEG reports that the video and audio have too large a delay. I'm working on this issue now. But if you have the hard drive space and the patience, you can use VDUB to create an uncompressed AVI file from your VOB file. Then use TMPEG to create an MPEG2 from that. Sorry for the long winded reply, but I'm getting desperate here.

3. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

After creating a d2v project and a wav of the audio using DVD2AVI, you can create a pseudo avi via VFAPIconv. This avi can then be imported into Premiere along with the wav audio.

4. groove

groove Member

5. dirtynbl

dirtynbl Guest

interesting, but flaskmpeg and doesn't encode it straight to an mpeg2 that can be put on a dvd. there are still issues with audio and attaching that. It would be nice if there was a way to take the vob straight to an mpeg2. you could then concievably control the bitrate of the video to fit any movie onto a dvd-r. it seems so obvious to me and it almost can be done.

6. msb5150

msb5150 Regular member

Try http://www.dvd2one.com
    I know its not free, but it reencodes your movie to mpeg2 and it makes it as high quality as it can be within the limitations of the 4.36GB dvd+/-R/RW discs available now. I believe it also processes high quality audio, not to mention it is supposed to work in less than an hour as opposed to the many hours of other reencoding programs. Try the trial verion, it will allow you to encode half and hour of video.

If the above link doesn't work, just type dvd2one into google, and look for it in the forum.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2003
  7. dirtynbl

dirtynbl Guest

wow, that's pretty interesting i wonder if it works well. that's the first thing that i have seen like that. still it seems pathetic to me that something like dvdx can convert a ripped dvd straight to SVD (which is mpeg2) or dvix, but there's nothing out there that will take a ripped dvd straight to mpeg2 (i'm talking both sound and video here).