1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Utorrent and Netgear DG834

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by qazw80, Jan 21, 2007.

1. qazw80

qazw80 Member

Dear all, I would be appreciated if someone can point me out how to fix the NAT error when I try to d/l stuffs using Utorrent.

I have read and tried (e.g. www.portforward.com) everythings on the internet but still can't open the port (65535) I use in utorrent.

I am using Windows XP SP2, Netgear DG834 modem/router.

What I did:

Windows:
    - Firewall > Exceptions > Allow 65535 TCP/UDP
    - Firewall > Exceptions > Allow utorrent
    - Temporaily turn off firewall software

Router:
    - Allow port 65535 TCP and UDP
    - 65535 port forwarded to 192.168.0.3 (from ipconfig, I have a static IP)
    - UPnP Off
    - Log Off

Utorrent:
    - Use 65535
    - UPnP Off

I also tried UPnP On in the router and utorrent, but still got NAT error. Also tried to open different port, still the same.

Tested 65535 port (from www.grc.com and utorrent itself) and said stealth and NAT error, so apparently the port is not open even I port forwarded.

Any adavice is appreciated.

2. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Sounds like your ISP is blocking torrents, which one is it and, if thats a wireless router and you can, connect directly. You can try at options>preferences>BitTorrent to enable Protocol Encryption and allow incoming legacy connections and disable both DHT options.

3. qazw80

qazw80 Member

I am using ADSL2+ with TPG (18GB plan which uses Static IP).

I took quite of bit of time to extensively read through several forums, but still couldn't find out what the actual problem is. From my research, I know that TPG uses transparent proxy which may be the problem w/ using torrent, but in my case that Static IP is used and I had port forwarded the correct port to my lan ip, followed with other settings in windows and torrent program, I can't find out what I am missing.......

Yes, I did try Enable or Disable the encryption and/or DHT, as this is also what I read from another forum, still no luck. Basically I have tried out everything.

Please shine me some light if you can.

4. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Sorry, don't know then unless your ip address at ipconfig was noted wrong or a mistake was made entering it in your router.

5. qazw80

qazw80 Member

Here is my config, hope it helps.

Any things I miss?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had done the same for TCP.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

UPnP OFF in router and utorrent.

6. qazw80

qazw80 Member

Forget to my note I am not using wireless.

7. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Looks fine. Try entering your ip address in outbound firewall settings - lan/users start and finish. I don't know where it is but you could enable DMZ just to test if the problem is on your end. Also, I don't know how much help this is but I've read that a firmware upgrade may help. I know that when I had a problem with my D Link, their tech support had me upgrade my firmware as a first move and that solved things. See if anything here applies: http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/DG834G.asp Saw this, too:DMZ may be enabled go to Advanced->WAN setup make sure it's unticked.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  8. qazw80

qazw80 Member

I tried to put in my ip address in the ountbound rules, but i still can't get the port 65535 open. DMZ box is already unticked as the default setting.

I have been trying to get this port forward thingy working for a week, guess I will get a D-link or Billion router.

9. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Sorry, no idea, don't know why but my but my success rate with helping with Netgear routers is nonexistant. I will vouch for D Link having very good support, easy to set up and very affordable. Another one I hear good things about is Linksy's WRT54G.

10. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Another possibility though highly unlikely is that things may correct themselves if your speed shows as decent. I say this because after using BitTornado for at least a year of green lights, it suddenly began showing yellow then red but with good speeds (nearly 200 kbps D/L and good U/L). This continued until the light showed black and I could no longer connect. I switched to utorrent but could only get red lights (v 1.5, I think). Even the developer of utorrent couldn't explain things and after 2 weeks and no changes on my part, the lights changed to green and have remained so. But, speeds were always good but better when my connection went green.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  11. qazw80

qazw80 Member

So far after using ADSL2+ for like almost 3 weeks, the speed I get from utorrent is certainly not close to what I am supposed to get, like 20-30kB/s.

But the main problem I believe is that my port is not open, and so everytime I am connecting to the trackers, I won't be able to connect as many seeds as I could. For example, I can see about 600 seeds, but I am only able to connect to 20 or something even I leave the torrent on for the whole day. If I were lucky, among the 20 seeds I am connecting to, some of them are uploading to me at a resonable rate like 20-30kB/s each, so my total download speed can go up to 100kb/s.

But I am 100% sure that if my port is open, I will be able to connect to more than 20 seeds out of the 600, and my speed will be way faster.

Before I was using ADSL 512K in my country, where the maximum download speed after some math calculation is like 180kB/s. When downlaoding using torrent program, I could get like 150kB/s because my port was open.

Given now using ADSL2+ 24,000K (which is theoretically ~47 faster than 512K), I can only get 20-30kB/s using torrent. This is what driving me mad.

I just need to open my port to allow more seeds (i.e. more incoming connections). The funny thing is other people in the forum are using the same router as me, but they have no problem with their torrent. Smileys are green all the way.

If I still couldn't fix this port forward thing in the next week, I am gonna bury my Netgear DG834 and buy another router.