1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Utorrent Port Forwarding through Modem?

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by SpeedyW, Feb 26, 2007.

1. SpeedyW

SpeedyW Member

I recently downloaded Utorrent but have since been experiencing poor download speeds (average of 10k, max of 50k on a connection capable of 150+). I have never seen the green icon, nor passed the port forwarding test which leads me to believe there is still a problem with the forwarding.

The reason I believe it may be the modem rather than the router is: I followed the tutorials I have found (including portforwarding.com) and even after placing my ip outside of our router (DMZ) it failed to turn the icon green or pass the tests.

The torrent is well seeded.

I am using:
    Router:DI-524
    Static IP
    Up to three other computers on the network
    Port: 32459

Is it possible I need to forward it past my modem? Any other ideas?

Thanks for the help.. and sorry for the inexperience.

2. mistycat

mistycat Active member

If you can, connect directly to your modem to see if your router is causing your problem; also check your ip address at ipconfig/all in Command Prompt to make sure it's correct. Some modems do require port forwarding and it's also possible that your ISP is throttling torrents; you can check this list to see if it's there or let us know what it is, someone should know: http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Bad_ISPs If your router is connected wirelessly, you could try connecting directly.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  3. SpeedyW

SpeedyW Member

Thanks for the quick response mistycat.

My isp, Centurytel, is not on that list.

My connection is already wired.

Upon moving my cat 5 cable directly into the modem I lost my internet connection all together (even after a modem restart). I'm not sure why that happened but I went on to look up our "modem".

I found the "Netopia 3341 modem/router" on google. I'm not sure why I had no connection after I plugged into it but if it is in deed functioning as a second router I would assume I need to forward it also, is this true?

Just a quick review of our setup, my computer hooks into a DI-524 router (which should be forwarded properly) and the DI-524 hooks into a netopia netopia 3341 modem/router which connects to the internet.

My Comp.--->DI-524 Router--->Netopia 3341 modem/router--->Internet

Thanks for the help ;)

4. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  5. SpeedyW

SpeedyW Member

I forwarded the port on the netopia 3341 modem/router in addition to the DI-524 router, with no success.

However, while leaving both forwarded and turning off the firewall on the modem, I was able to acquire a green light in utorrent (for the first time) as well as passing the port test.

That brings me to several more questions. First, if the router is still providing protection, is it safe to turn the modem firewall off? Second, should I have to turn the modem firewall off if utorrent is an exception from it and the port is properly forwarded?

Thanks again for the help :)

6. mistycat

mistycat Active member

The DI-524 contains a built in firewall that blocks completely by default except for those programs you have port forwarded so it should be fine to disable the firewall in the modem but I'd still check it out. I don't know if you should have to but the DI-524 provides full protection and 2 firewalls aren't necessary.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  7. SpeedyW

SpeedyW Member

Thanks for all the help mistycat.