1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

uTorrent problems, PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by slslsl, Aug 20, 2007.

1. slslsl

slslsl Member

Well I have Windows Vista, and my downloads are going SUPER slow...highest I can get is like 60. Which I know is bad. Well under the Guide: Max Out Download Speed using uTorrent..and I used the tests for the ones that don't live in the U.S..

[​IMG]

And really I have NO IDEA what to do with this.. so i'm asking if someone could help me use info and help me calculate all the settings I need to set for uTorrent..PLEASE 50 kb/s is killing me!!!...PLEASE HELP, THANKS!

2. slslsl

slslsl Member

3. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

The important part of a speed test for uTorrent settings is the upload speed of your connection.
    Upload speed in uTorrent should be capped at 80% of your overall upload speed.

I think that test is from Hamilton, Canada. If you want to use one from there, you can use:
    http://www.mountaincable.net/index.php?id=3,114,0,0,1,0
    Stop all internet activity (including torrents) before taking the test.
    (Or you could just use the test linked from uTorrent's speed guide)

Once you have the results, you can open Options/Speed Guide.. in uTorrent.
    The speed guide screen has a pull down menu, next to "Connection Type" with a variety of upload speeds in kbs (kilobits).
    Choose the speed closest to your upload speed and this will automatically adjust the settings in uTorrent to their optimal for best speed.
    Press "Use selected settings" to save.

If you have any questions, let me know.

4. slslsl

slslsl Member

THANKS man, I did it and my dl's are going faster..its going 40..which might be low for you guys getting 200 :( but for me its high :)...but jeff, How can I get it to go even faster? and thanks once again, you're a real help.

5. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

I assume that you have made an exception for uTorrent in your software firewall and that you do not have a router.

If those are so, and you have the speed guide settings in uTorrent, then you should be set up to get your max speeds.

It then would depend on the torrents you are on. See, Good Torrents.

You could try the Slackware 10.2 Torrent (dedicated servers).
    It is legal and since it has dedicated servers the speeds are usually good.
    Run it as your only torrent for about 15 minutes and see what speeds you get.

Also what were your results from the speed test?

6. slslsl

slslsl Member

Yes uTorrent is an exception on the firewall, and yes I am on a router, and my speeds are going about 50kb/s..thank you for all your help, and heres my results, hopefully you can use this information to help me better my download speeds, THANKS!

http://img523.imageshack.us/my.php?image=speedgz3.jpg

7. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

What is the router make and model?
    All routers can have some problems with bittorrent clients due to too many open connections, but some have other problems.
    Did you allow uTorrent (or its port) through the router?
    Did you take the port test on the speed guide screen?
    If so, what was result?
    What port do you have set for uTorrent?

Did you use the xx/512 setting in uTorrent?

Did you try the slackware, by itself, to test your speed?

You should be getting better speeds.
    However, speeds have a lot to do with the torrent swarm you are on.
    That is why I suggested checking with the slackware.

Also, who is your ISP (internet service provider)?

8. slslsl

slslsl Member

Router make is Linksys, Model..BEFSR41. Did I allow uTorrent through the router? I dont know, how do I do that? Port test? What port test? and yes I do have it on xx/512. And how good will "Slackware" work, cause I never heard of it..and ISP is Rogers.

9. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

Let's start with Rogers. It may just be the worst ISP in the world for P2P. I am surprised you can get anything.

The port test is on the Options/Speed Guide screen.
    You will see a port number and next to it a button to "Test if port is forwarded properly".
    It will take you to a web page and give you either a green OK or a red.

Also on that screen check and see if you have encryption enabled.
    As I understand it, Rogers throttles all encrypted traffic (whether P2P or not). So if it is enabled, you could try without.

Your router is listed as one of the routers that has trouble with too many open connections. Setting max to 200 or less is suggested.
    Adjust your max and per torrent connections by going to Options/Preferences/BitTorrent.
    Set max global to 197 and per torrent to 118.

As far as port forwarding your router, there are several versions of that router listed at portforwarding. Do you know the version number of yours?

Slackware is an open source software. I am suggesting using the torrent only as a test of your speed ability in uTorrent. You will not need the slackware download itself. However, you might want to wait until the other things are cleared up.

10. slslsl

slslsl Member

Alright thanks, How do I find out the version mine? And if all i'm getting is 50kb/s how am I not getting the high speeds of 150kb/s or higher or at least 100?? Thanks once again, and I can see you must be a wiz at these kind of things.

11. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

The speeds may be due to the router setup or it could just be Rogers limiting or throttling your bandwidth or it could be the torrent itself.

Trying the slackware will give you an idea of speeds you can get with your setup.

Take the port test before you mess with the router.
    If you pass, there is nothing to do.

If you fail, then you could check the guides for the linksys model at Portforwarding.com uTorrent & Routers.
    You may be able to see which is right from the screen shots.

Also, Vista has been a problem for a small percentage (but fairly large number) of P2P users.
    Unfortunately, I have not seen any of the "fixes" that actually work for most people.
    So, at this point there would not be much to do about that.

With rogers, just be glad you can get anything, as a lot of people cannot.

I am not much of a "wiz" but I do mod at another forum on bittorrent and learn a little more every day.