1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

uTorrent works fine, but other applications can't connect to internet?

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by mcpatty, Oct 24, 2007.

1. mcpatty

mcpatty Member

Occasionally when using firefox, it just wont work. It says its looking up the website then it will give me an error. Well, at the same time I can see by the blinking lights on the modem that the internet is working just fine and uTorrent will be downloading at a normal speed. Then last night, the same thing happened, but I realized I couldn't sign on to AIM either, and some other software I was trying to install couldn't access the internet to find updates. So I am very confused about this...

I run my DSL Modem through a Netgear WGR614v6 wireless router. I have port forwarding configured for uTorrent and Soulseek. I haven't tested if soulseek works during these problems. The thing is that these other programs will work just fine normally, but recently they just stopped working. Even if I close uTorrent.

Any idea what is going on here? Could it be a problem with port forwarding? Do i need to configure port forwarding for every application that uses the internet? I didn't think I did because they were all working fine even after i configured port forwarding for those select applications.

2. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

I just answered your other post and it may relate to this.

You may have your upload speed set too high (or unlimited) which will not allow other needed communications through (it will also slow your uTorrent download speeds).

It could also be a problem with too many open connections in uTorrent, but capping your upload in uTorrent would be the first (and hopefully only) step.

3. mcpatty

mcpatty Member

I think you may be right about having too many open connections, I think I set it too high. I can't test it right now because I'm at work but I think you may have found the answer. Thanks!

4. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

Your router is listed at the Azureus Bad Routers page as having problems with too many open connections.

The general advice is to limit global max number of connections to less than 200.

Hope that clears things up on your connection.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  5. mcpatty

mcpatty Member

ok well is the number of connections going to affect my connection even if utorrent isn't running? because the problem occurs even if utorrent isn't open.

6. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

If it is still happening for a short period after you close uTorrent, then it would help.
    Other clients in the swarm may still try and connect to your address.

But if it is happening when uTorrent has not been open, say after a re-boot, then it would be something else beside uTorrent.

7. gary431

gary431 Member

Thank you jeffw224. I limited the global max number of connections to less than 200 and I don't have any problems using Firefox. Thanks again!