1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

utorrent

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by kiwi1, Feb 9, 2007.

1. kiwi1

kiwi1 Regular member

Hi, has anyone had success with utorrent under wine?, I've got it running but cant get decent speeds, yellow icon stating ports not forwarded correctly, I'm using the same IP I use with windows and a port is forwarded to that IP, If linux is firewalling incoming conections, how do I disable this?
    Thanks.

2. whompus

whompus Active member

3. kiwi1

kiwi1 Regular member

Yeah I've seen a few p2p's for linux, like ktorrent which is apparently a µtorrent clone. Truth is, I'm new to linux and have been experimenting with wine, was just wondering why I cant get the 'green tick' I get with windows.

4. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Always remember wine is experimental. Windows apps don't work well on *nix systems..period..
    As it's a compatability layer (not an emulator but the same kind of issues) you will always have headaches with port access and read/write files. Even experts can't always get things to work properly when they get involved with port simulation and the like, so don't worry about it too much. I gave up with wine after failing to get 99% of anything to work as expected and took another road to achieve the mission.

Use a real *nix p2p app like azureus, utorrent has been bought by the enemy, my peer guard flagged the download site as an riaa affiliate, so it's out as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2007
  5. kiwi1

kiwi1 Regular member

Just playing at the moment, I'm prolly gonna look at azureus later on, With windows I used peer gaurdian for torrents, What do you suggest for linux?
    Is there anything as effective as pg?
    thanks

6. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Yup.. theres a variant of PG called moblock, but to be honest I don't use it because it's incompatable with too many of my core system libraries. Azureus has safe-peer which uses the same lists as PG and works a treat.

7. kiwi1

kiwi1 Regular member

Azurues sounds like the way to go then, thanks again for the info.

8. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Peerguardian 2 has a linux port, have a good look on the phoenixlabs page.

9. janrocks

janrocks Guest

All too true. it's here http://moblock.berlios.de/

I still can't use it due to sarge. It's built for etch and onwards. There may be dependencies issues.

10. kiwi1

kiwi1 Regular member

Hey, I didnt have much luck installing azureus, I think my jre install was messed up as I couldnt get the browser plugin workin, my symbolic link apparently doesnt work, not sure what I'm doing there. Limewire runs fine which is java reliant but I get some weird error halfway through the az install. Will post the error tommorow, maybe you guys can tell me where Ive gone wrong.

11. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Go for it. I don't use the azureus browser, why bother when FF handles that side of things?

I'm looking forward to seeeing this error. I like a good puzzle. lol

12. ps3rocks

ps3rocks Member

what's better, azurues or utorrent. I've been using azurues but it's hasn't been great or anything. I was thinking about switching to utorrent but people say it's very complicated and stuff with the ports and the protocol encryption and lots of more stuff. So which 1 is better??

13. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Depends:

Linux - Azureus
    Windows - uTorrent in my opinion

uTorrent is a bit more "intensive" but its pretty easy to forward ports (it supports uPnP, so does Azureus) and the encryption protocol can help if your ISP throttles your connection for torrent traffic. Even if your ISP doesn't throttle your traffic enable encryption makes it impossible (or harder i guess) to know exactly whats flying in and out of your connection.

As far as I know Azureus also supports the Encryption Protocol, just FYI.

I guess, in the end, it really comes down to personal preference as Azureus, from what I have heard, is no longer the resource hog it used to be.

14. kiwi1

kiwi1 Regular member

Well janrocks, I tried to get a screenshot of the terminal window after executing azureus and the damn thing installed!, I had installed a ktorrent rpm previuosly and had to track down a few things I was missing to get it to run, guess they must have been needed for az too.
    Problem now is, az is telling me my selected port is closed, I use this port all the time with XP with the same static IP.

15. Amebaid

Amebaid Member

well it seems that every thing has been said here but just for the records

for a linux user with some resources go with azureus

but if you have low RAM or some thing else go with ktorrent , rtorrent

yet windows has so many variability in it's application but it's too bad that there isn't a utorrent version for linux yet as ssaid before AZ really good

rtorrent and ktorrent can be found at sourceforge.net

16. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Kiwi.. I can probably help you out with your (sounds like) firewall issue, but I need to know a few things.. OS, what ports and whether you are running a seperate firewall or relying on iptables..

As this is security type stuff you can PM me and I will see if I can come up with a working solution. If not I will give you my settings and we can try them.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2007
  17. kiwi1

kiwi1 Regular member

Hi janrocks, sorry I've been away for a few days, check your pm

18. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Have those links and info helped any? If it's still not having any of it try some of the folks on the AD irc channel. We love a challenge.