1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uttorent killing internet?

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by Jeebiss, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Jeebiss

Jeebiss Member

I am having a problem with Utorrent causing my internet to die. WHen I open the port and start downloading, it goes for 10 minutes and then stops. Then my whole internet service stops working. What could the problem be?

I use centurytel DSL and have a Westtell modem.

2. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

I'm not quite sure about the answer to your problem. But here are some suggestions...
    1)torrent(s) overloading network
    2)bad router
    3)your isp could be doing this, i doubt it but its a possibility.

3. Jeebiss

Jeebiss Member

1) it happens on any torrent i use
    2) router should be fine, i think it is the DSL modem.
    3) why would the isp do this?

4. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

1) I don't mean the actual torrent is causing your problem(s). Im just saying that the internet traffic it generates could be enough to dramatically slow and/or kill your internet connection.

2) The modems/router itself could be going kaput. Before my previous router died downloading from a torrent would make my router malfunction.

3) They would do this because it would prevent them from becoming involved in any legal dispute over the copyright infringement of downloaded content.

5. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

Did you fix it? I'm having the same problem. I start utorrent, then after say 10mins, everything except yahoo messenger and firefox(fairly recent) is shut out of the internet. I used to use the yahoo browser and it would also be shut offline but now for some reason, firefox works fine, well, sorta. I'm not sure if some of the stuff not workin is just other servers. Now when I close utorrent, everything goes back to normal. Now this is really annoying because it means I have to close it to do anything online and that kills my upload stats hence, lower download speeds sometimes. Man this is annoying *rolls eyes*. Any help would be appreciated.

6. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Welcome to the wonderful world of BitTorrent. Any person well versed it torrent knowledge will tell you that surfing the web while downloading is a bad decision. For one your slowing down your download speed, and two your browsing going to be lousy anyway so why bother? Basically dont surf while downloading. Simple as that.

7. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

Well it worked before. And it does actually effect firefox. It basically cuts the internet. The problem is that I kinda need the internet for other applications such as limewire(just to get a song or two), updating my anti-virus and firewall, etc. I dont want to stop everything that involves the internet just to use utorrent.

8. rav009

rav009 Active member

Basically, your downloading through Bit torrent is using up all your available internet bandwidth, all p2p's do this. You simply cant do both.

9. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

This happens though when my download is not even higher than 1kb/s and upload maybe 20kb/s of my total 50 for my connection. So bandwith wise, it should be fine.

10. rav009

rav009 Active member

But you said yourself if you close it its fine, so I think that's your problem.

11. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

I doubt transfer wise it is. But now that I think of it, some several hundred active connections may be the reason.