1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

v1 PS2 DVD-R Playback Questions

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by Boden, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Boden

Boden Member

Hello all. I'm a bit new to the PS2 backup crowd and I've been running into some difficulties. I've read through many of the forum articles, but still am a bit confused by some things.

Anyway, I've got a v1 USA PS2. I put a DUO2 in it recently, and it seems to be working fine. I can play PS2 originals, PS1 originals and backups, and DVD movies. However, I can't get it to play DVD movie backups or PS2 DVD game backups.

Actually, let me clarify, I've backed up a DVD movie to test (since I can verify the burn on a standard DVD player - it works) and the PS2 played it once, and never again - which is weird. I've read that some older PS2s just won't play DVD-Rs, but I would assume mine wouldn't have even played it the one time if it didn't have the capability - though I could be wrong about that . . .

So, my question has several parts:

- Since my box played the DVD-R backup once, does that mean that it has the ability to play DVD-Rs and my problems are from something else?

- Could this problem be from media? I'm using Imation, which many people have recommended.

- Could the problem be just from the age of the PS2? I've had problems playing original DVD movies from since I've had it, and it's only gotten worse over time. If so, is replacing the laser a proper remedy?

- If it is a probability that the issue is my version's ability to read DVD-Rs, is that ability contained in the laser, or elsewhere? Or, would replacing the laser give my PS2 the ability to read DVD-Rs if it can't already?

Ummmmm, I guess that's it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Cory

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

Bad idea modding a v1.

1. try cleaning your ps2 laser
    2. Don't know who was recommending it, but imation is not very good. Use ritek.
    3. if both those don't work, you probably need a new laser.