1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

v12: Are Patches Still Necessary?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by mikemann, Apr 13, 2005.

1. mikemann

mikemann Member

-I have a new Slim PS2 (v12).
    -I have ordered Swap Magic 3.3 and the little plastic doo-hickey for tricking the PS2 into not noticing that I'm opening the lid. It should be here tonight
    -I have two games that I have already backed up onto my PC hard drive as MDS/MDF files using Alcohol120%

Before I start burning these (and possibly making all kinds of coasters), can someone tell me if I need to apply patches to the images? I've heard that with the v12 just a straight burn of an image will be ok, so long as I'm using good media and a slow burn speed.

Does anyone have any experience burning backups and playing on a v12 using Swap Magic 3.3? Do you have to apply a patch?

Thanks!
    Mike

2. Mufc_Rule

Mufc_Rule Regular member

some games will need fixes..

3. mikemann

mikemann Member

Thanks for the reply!

How can you tell which ones you need to patch? Is it just a matter of trial and error?

Also, is there a single patching utility that can be used for all backups, or will each game require its own patch?

4. RemyK313

RemyK313 Regular member

Most games require no special methods. Just pop them into DVD Decrypter, copy to HD, then burn to DVDR.

If a game won't run, or if the game is DVD9 sized, then look up to see if anyone has had problems here in the forums. Usually, there are ripkits available for problem games. Most of these kits can be found at http://alucard.cc , not only that, but all the tools you need to rebuild games can be found there as well.

If you want more info, check out the Swap Magic 3.3 working/non-working/patch list thread.

Oh, and one more thing, if you plan on playing backups, use GOOD media. Spending a dollar more per DVDR will show itself to be worthwhile, when you see that good media has faster load times, doesn't break down, and doesn't damage your PS2.

5. mikemann

mikemann Member

Remy, thanks so much - that was all the info I was looking for! Greatly appreciated!