1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V12 (PSTwo, slim ps2) DVD-R problems

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by RemyK313, Jan 15, 2005.

1. RemyK313

RemyK313 Regular member

Hi guys, I just bought a PSTwo yesterday (SCPH-700012), and I've found that it won't read my DVD-Rs. The media I'm using is TDK 4x DVD-R. Is anyone else having problems with DVD-Rs, or do you guys just think that it's just bad media? I've burned about 8 DVDs that I backed up myself and every single one of them works perfectly fine. Basically, I wanna know if anyone knows about v12 compatibility with DVD-Rs.

Other than that, can someone with a v12 recommend media to me? It may be that it can read DVD+Rs but not -Rs (I don't have any DVD-Rs to test this out with)

EDIT : There also don't seem to be any problems with the PSTwo itself. It will play originally pressed DVD movies and games perfectly fine.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2005
  2. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

You will need a modchip
    or swapmagic disks
    and or slide card/slidetool or fliptop.
    To play ps2 backups as far as media goes
    My ver 7 likes +r

The following list is in preference order. The best discs are near the top of the list. The discs at
    the bottom of the list are suitable only for a landfill.

Almost flawless burns with 95-100% reliable results:
    PVC = Pioneer = (-R)(-RW)
    MXLRG01, MXLRG02 = Maxell = (-R) ... be aware of unbranded fakes
    MCC = Mitsubishi Chemicals = (-R)<-----------------VERBATIM MY CHOICE #1
    TDKG02 = TDK Corp = (-R) ... be aware of unbranded fakes
    TAIYOYUDEN or YUDEN = Taiyo Yuden = (-R)<--------------FUJIFILM (made in japan) MY CHOICE #2

Decent discs, though not perfect, about 85-95%
    success rate:

RICOHJPN = Ritek or Ricoh = (+R)
    SONYD04 = Sony = (-R) ... be aware of unbranded fakes
    PRODISC = Prodisc Media = (+RW)
    INFODISC = Infodisc Media = (+RW)
    RITEKG04 = Ritek = (-R)
    RITEKG03 = Ritek = (-R)
    OPTODISC = Optodisc = (-R)

Quality can be very questionable, about 50-80% success rate:

LEADDATA or LD01 or LD or LEDA = Lead Data = (-R)(-RW)
    PRINCO = Princo = (-R)(-RW)
    RITEK = Ritek = (-RW)
    ONIDTECH = OnidTech = (-R)

Pathetic garbage media, landfill material, about 0-50% success rate:

RITEKG01, RITEKG02 = Ritek = (-R)
    PIODATA = Lead Data = (-R) ... often sold as "Pioneer OEM" but that's false
    Unbranded PIO = Fake Pioneer = (-R) ... often sold as "Pioneer OEM" but that's false
    Unbranded SONY = Fake Sony = (-R)
    Unbranded MXL = Fake MXL = (-R)
    ACCU = Unknown OEM = (-R)
    LONGTEN = Unknown OEM = (-R)
    AN31, AN32, ANWELL, AN30 = Unknown OEM = (-R)
    OPTODISC = Optodisc = (+R)(+RW)
    MATRIX = Unknown OEM = (-R)
    CMC = CMC Magnetics = (+R)(-R)
    ANYTHING ELSE = Unknown OEM or NEW

FROM
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Use Quality Media I use
    Verbatim dvd+r 8x 100 pack ( 24.99 )
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002IQ1I0/slickdeals/104-0984492-0108766

Last edited: Jan 15, 2005
  3. RemyK313

RemyK313 Regular member

Yeah, I've found your chart before. Though it's helpful, I just wanted to know what people recommend. I guess I'll go to a store, buy some DVD+Rs and try out burning movies.

4. RemyK313

RemyK313 Regular member

Well, I went out to my local Walmart, and I bought a couple brands of DVD+Rs. I burned a backup of a DVD movie (no compression) to a Sony brand DVD+R using a LiteOn DVD+RW (SOHW-832S) drive at 2.4x speed with Nero Express. Well, it runs perfectly on my PSTwo. No grinding, no extra motions, nothing, it autoboots (unlike older models where you have to select it through the browser menu), and it will then run like an originally pressed DVD.

I've yet to try a game. But I will update this thread again when my Swap Magic discs come in. I'll attempt to make a backup, and see if I can get it to work with SM and a v12 fliptop (www.ps2lid.com for more info).

If anyone is reading this, expect an update somewhere before January 28th at the latest (who knows how long it'll take for those discs to ship to me. I ordered them on a Jan. 15 which is a saturday, and it could take over 5 business days to get to me)

EDIT : Expect it early february, they took forever to get my order filled due to lack of stock. Anyways, I finally got off backorder last week, and I'm due to recieve the fliptop on Monday, Jan. 31.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2005
  5. RemyK313

RemyK313 Regular member

Well, my stuff finally came in. It seems to work.

Well, I'll explain how my install of the fliptop went down.

I used the warranty sticker as a hinge, just like everyone else has been saying to do. I can personally attest that this was really no trouble at all, you just have to be careful to not rip it or break it. However, it's flexible enough to let you use it as a hinge.

I followed the directions on http://www.ps2lid.com and the only problem I found with the directions is in the part where I had to remove the 2 inner screws holding down the fliptop.

If you look at the pictures on ps2lid.com, the screw and plate on the right don't just come out easily. You'll have to use tweezers (or your hands if you need) to very gently pull out that plate.

The spring needs to be taken out as well. The tutorial isn't clear on how you do this. What you need to do is flip the console over after the last step, and then squeeze out the spring from the front. I used a pen, unhooked the spring holding up the fliplid then I dislodged it from its base.

After this, the fliplid will still be connected, but if you shift it to the right, you can take it out (it'll pretty much fall out).

After that, follow the rest of the directions, and put the new lid on.

Consider this, however : After I installed the lid, I could not boot Swap Magic. The spring actually held up the lid high enough to not fully cover the sensors when closed. I removed the spring, and it worked. Thinking that maybe I had done a shoddy job with the spring, I put it back, and it would no longer read the discs.

Fearing the worst (dead laser) I put back my original lid, and it all worked fine. I repeated the fliptop install with lid, and it again failed. So, I removed the spring from the ps2lid's install, and it worked perfectly for me.

Of course, this is anecdotal, and it may be my fault entirely. But if your Swap Magic won't read, or your discs won't spin and you have a fliptop, your lid simply may not be fully down. Removing the spring may fix this (but you'll have to manually hold the top open when you load games, which kinda sucks)

Anyways, after this step, and putting my PS2 back together (sans the spring), I burned a rip of Syphon Filter : The Omega Strain that I made a couple weeks back. I made the rip using DVD Decrypter in ISO mode. Simply copied it, and burned it immediately after on a DVD+R at 1x (only took about 30 minutes, but I have enough coasters at home. See my above post, it explains what I did to make it work)

Anyways, simply ripped and burned the ISO with DVD Decrypter, ran Swap Magic, popped in my copy, and it worked.

I think that fully sums everything that was going on with my particular PS2 v12. If I have any problems, I'll update, but I'm hoping that this will solve the v12 questions concerning backups.

If not, just post in this thread. I'll get to it in the same day.

6. Dix_Fix

Dix_Fix Regular member

This fliptop is 4 V12? I've had enough of the DMS4 on this V12 5th install & it still don't work. This is my 3rd V12 I've modded the other 2 hsd no probs (well only minor) this one seems anything I do don't work. Ready to try another mod method. What's your take?

7. midgarguy

midgarguy Member

I'm having an odd problem with my V12 PS2 also.
    I learned it is one of only 2% that has a different sized sensor hole in the front of the tray but I got my SlimTool to fit anyway.

That is what is so wierd. I'm using the SlimTool and I cannot get any backups to play.

All my regular games play perfect, movies play perfect, even CD backups play perfect. But it will not play DVD-r backups. I have many Ritek G04 games that work perfect in 3 of my PS2's but they will not work in the new slim one.

The disk will start to spin then stop then start again and stop again. It just never loads.

The other odd thing about it is that it will not load Swap Magic 3.3 DVD.

It loads SM2.0DVD and SM 3.3CD just fine and it loads CD Loader but it will not load any of my DVD games at all.

I'm going to try Verbatim DVD-r and DVD+r media if I can find some.

I honestly think Sony is using either different laser units (Non 400's) or they have done something with the voltage.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2005
  8. RemyK313

RemyK313 Regular member

Hey Dix_Fix. I don't know from personal experience about mods. Rumor mill says that there are some onboard fixes that can protect your laser, and some of the internals of the v12s. I'm not big on the actual hardware, I know very little. Most of my stuff is anecdotal, and I try to collect as much info from other users' experiences as well as my own.

Anyways, my fliptop is working great for me. But I had to remove the spring in order for it to work. The spring was actually lifting up the fliptop slightly when it was closed, and causing the sensors to be left uncovered. I've only had it for one day, but my backups are working fine when I burn to DVD+R with DVD Decrypter.

Midgar guy : When I first got my PSTwo, I was excited to think that all my DVD backups (movies) would be able to get played on it (and not just my computer)

I used TDK brand DVD-Rs and it wouldn't even read. It would do what you said (mostly). It would load the opening screen, then give me the red screen (I forget what it said, but it pretty much said that it wasn't a valid PS2 disc)

The discs weren't the problem, they were supposed to be of ultra-high quality, as outlined in the chart in this same thread.

If you'd read the rest of the thread, you would have seen what my solution was. I used Sony brand (not sure exactly what they were) DVD+R, burned a movie to it, and it ran perfectly fine in my v12.

I haven't seen anyone say whether or not they had success using DVD-Rs in their v12s, but mine (date code 4D, SCPH-700012) only reads DVD+R

So, I suggest you buy some DVD+R media (don't buy anymore DVD-R for v12 purposes, you have the brand that everyone says is by far the best), make a backup of a DVD movie to a DVD+R, and see if it will run in your PSTwo with the slimtool removed.

Then slowly test your way in, until you can play that DVD+R with the slim tool, and then start working on getting DVD backups to work with it.

I don't know anything about the slim tool, sorry! This is just a general process for working any mod. It's like anything else in life, you do a step, check a step, and move on like that. It's slow, yeah, but it's the safest way to do it.

Anyways, I honestly think that once you find DVD media that your v12 likes, your backup problems will disappear.

But I share your same DVD-R problem, mine won't even read them, for any purpose at all. But it reads DVD+Rs really well.

Finally, I got a question for you guys in the know : are CD backups supposed to spin so fast? I mean, how fast is too fast. I've only had a PS2 (first PS2 I ever bought) for about two weeks, and the fact that it has to spin the CD backups so fast kinda frightens me.

9. RemyK313

RemyK313 Regular member

Oh, and Dix_Fix, I forgot something. If you read up on the DMS forums, a LOT of people are having problems with the DMS4 and the v12s. In fact, I remember one thread called "V12 and DMS4 nothing but problems."

So, yeah, I've heard a LOT more negative responses than positive ones on the DMS website. So, you might wanna be wary of that chip. I say we wait a while longer, see who develops something better.

10. Dix_Fix

Dix_Fix Regular member

Hi RemyK313. It seems that the V12 is a bit of a POS at the moment. I think I'll get a V9-V10 & stick this DMS4 lite in it they don't seem to have so many probs. However on the DMS website(forum)http://web02063.prolocation.net/phpBB2/index.phpthere is a sticky that is a movie of a V12 with DMS4 Lite booting to the Toxic BIOS screen. So they must work.
    P.S. Is your V12 fliptop after market or the original with a mod. I read somewhere that U could mod your own fliptop for V12. Don't happen to know where I read that do you?

11. Dix_Fix

Dix_Fix Regular member

12. RemyK313

RemyK313 Regular member

Yeah, people have stated the success of v12s with the DMS4, but still a lot more people have complained about it.

As for my v12? I'm not sure exactly what you mean. If you must know, I bought it after the holiday rush (date code 4D) and made no mods to it.

I ordered a ps2lid from gocybershopping.com along with swap magic. I simply installed that (with spring removed) and that's all I've done to it.

As for modding your own original lid, I haven't heard of this. There's a guide on ps2ownz.com however, that covers PSTwo modding. The only problem I see with it, is that it's quite a bit of an extreme modification.

With the ps2lid, if my PS2 dies on me, I simply remove that lid, install my original lid, and return it to CompUSA for them to either fix it or replace it for me.

I mean, to me, that's the safest way (other than simply NOT modding your v12)

13. midgarguy

midgarguy Member

RemyK313

I'll try +R's then.

For the record I did read the rest of the thread.
    I was under the assumption that your problem was due to the fliptop installation and not the DVD-r's.

Oh, and the slimtool is the only way to mod your PS2 without modding it that I know of. You simply press eject, snap the three pieces of plastic in place and you are done. No glue, no screws, no removal of anything, no nothing.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2005
  14. RemyK313

RemyK313 Regular member

Yeah, I wish I would have had a better understanding of the magic tool and the flip lid. If I had, I probably would have ordered that instead. That fliptop was an amazing pain in the ass to install.

Of course, it's probably easier than modding it! Oh, and midgar, I wasn't getting snappy with you, I was just pointing to something that I'd already said (so I wouldn't be repeating myself)

As for DVD+R media, I've only used one kind. It turns out that the Sony brand media I used was RICOHJPN type media. I'm about to run out of that brand in just a bit, and I'll test something else.

As for the DVD-R, I only tested one brand of it. Maybe there are DVD+Rs that will work for it, but I doubt it. According to Jizmak's list (from digitalfaq.com) TDKG02s are supposed to be among the best kind of media . I tested my v12 with TDKG02s and got nothing.

15. pdol666

pdol666 Guest

Hi Just Wanted to say i got a slim ps2 today (uk pal) and i am waiting for the swapmagic 3.3 discs and magic switch so i did the tissue and straw mod (what a pain)and used my version 2 dvd swapmagic disc and it loads up all of my previous backups from my version 9 alot better in fact it hasnt thrown one out yet and it has been on for hours,
    The discs i use are ritek dvd-r
    Thanks and good thread :)

16. Dix_Fix

Dix_Fix Regular member

Thanks RemyK313 for the info on the different types of media. On some of the forums I've read (DMS site) alot of posts are extolling the virtues of -R over +R however its been my experiance with PS2/PSTwo that the +R are accepted 50% more than -R. Thats for games movies etc on the PS2/PSTwo.

17. RemyK313

RemyK313 Regular member

You guys got DVD-R to work? Hmm, maybe it was just the media I was using.

pdol666, thanks for your update. That's a result I wasn't expecting.

I had my first backup problem today. The first backup I made (Syphon Filter 4) sometimes skips when looping music. Also, I got a bit of lag that never cleared up, so I had to stop.

However, this may just be the game.
    Other than that, my CD and DVD backups are working fine.

18. Dix_Fix

Dix_Fix Regular member

Remy the media I use & always have used PSX, PS1, PS2, PSTwo, has always been (in my eyes) the best is .......... wait for it ........ the cheapest thats available. The ones I'm using at the moment DVD-R & they don't even have a label. Integrity barnd. They don't have a label cause they are X2 sided 9.5gb not 8.4gb dual layer. These I can put a game on both sides (yes that means U have to take the disk out & turn it over to play the game on the other side)they are called DVD10 I suppose cause they are 2 DVD5s back to back. I honestly think that the media discussion is a fair bit of hype. I've had very little trouble with media. I trend to trust burns I've done untill I have a problem that I can't resolve then just burn another. Mind U my daughter has a room almost wallpapered in coasters DVD CDR DVD5 DVD9(expensive, anyone know where to get them for under $10)Sorry if I'm waffling but I feel strongly on this.

19. RemyK313

RemyK313 Regular member

Oh well, I'm still going to continue to buy the same DVD-Rs that I've always bought. Costco has great deals on TDKG02s, and those work great for my data and for my movies. As for DVD+Rs, I'll buy a few as I need em, I don't make that many backups.

It's a practical issue.
    In fact, the only thing I buy in bulk still are CDs, seeing as my in-car CD player can't play MP3s, and I like to mix it up when it comes to music :)

We'll see what if what you have to say is true. The first batch of DVD+Rs that I bought were RICOHJPN brand, and the ones I'm using now are CMC (which are supposed really bad media)

20. BuffBoy

BuffBoy Guest

FlipTop install question - I got the lid, but when I was taking my PS2 apart it seemed to get a little stuck opening on the back right corner and made a bit of a popping sound when I got it open.

Installed the lid without any further problems, put it back together, and the reset button wouldn't work. Messed around with it, still no luck, and finally decided to put the original lid back on - Reset button still won't work = one broken PS2.

Luckily I took it back to the store and they exchanged it - and for those worried about voiding their warranty they could easily tell the sticker had been messed with even though i used it as a hinge. But they let me exchange anyway.

Now I have another slimline and I'm scared to death of breaking it again. Can anyone tell me where I went wrong in breaking the reset button the first time and if there is a trick or sequence to follow when opening the slimline?