1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V3 .. But it missing BIOS ?? **HELP**

Discussion in 'PS2' started by _Filo_, Feb 17, 2003.

1. _Filo_

_Filo_ Member

Hi .. All geared up to install my magic3.6 in my V3 PAL machine.
    Opened it up .. Hang on! Where is the bios chip that my clip goes over ??

It should be just to the left of the (I,G,D,B) fiddly solder points chip .. But its not !!

I've looked at all the version photos on Modchips.com and none have this missing chip??
    The back of my box tells me I have a SCPH-30003.

Anyone able to help.

2. _Filo_

_Filo_ Member

I have it all dissasembled now ... Nope, not the design on modchips for a V3 .. very similar, but missing the bios chip on top. GREAT!!

I suppose I am now going to have to do a full install without clip. Obviously the 3.6 is designed with the little connectors on it's PCB .. Since its just a 3.1 mounted on it I assume the points/lettering will be the same, ie if I take M, N, O, P etc which would have gone to the clip end and solder there following the V3 3.1 diagram I should be all good yes ??

Thank

3. _Filo_

_Filo_ Member

OK .. It just gets worse ....

Even if I cut off the chip-click end of the suplied wires (so the other end still plugs into the 3.6) they will be to large to go into the VIA points (V,U,T,Q,P,O,N,M,R).
    So, I'm thinking I will have to use very thin enamalled copper wire.
    Of course, since I have a 3.6 I will have to solder these onto the 3.6 PCB into it's little via's behind the interface slot (Oh goodie!)

Now also, the 3.6 has 2 extra wires (below R) .. since these are white & black I am guessing these are another pair of +5v & GND .. So I can leave them off?? Anyone confirm that for me ??

4. DickBone

DickBone Member

Uhm my bios chip was at the bottom. I wouldn't recommend to solder to via's though, because if you fumble your ps2 could die. I used Enamelled copper wire to in my v7 works like a charm.
    - I used .2mm enamalled copper wire
    - a 25 watt soldering wire to strip off the end of the copper wire (use lots of soldering wire)
    - a 40w soldering iron with a .25mm tip to solder the wires to the mobo.
    - and 0.5 mm soldering wire
    -and i gots meself a handy-dandy desoldering pump :)