1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V551, Cingular, USA, MPT Works Fine - How do I use as Modem

Discussion in 'Motorola phones' started by DAITENSHI, Mar 30, 2005.

1. DAITENSHI

DAITENSHI Member

First off let me say that this site has been VERY helpful. I followed GeeDaddy's guide to install MPT on my XP SP2 Laptop and it works perfectly. No issues what so ever. I've transferred Ringtones and Pics, sync'd my contacts, etc. Everything works as expected.

Now....I'm trying to use my V551 as a modem. I have my own dial up ISP and set it up as a New Modem Connection on my Laptop. It shows correctly, no errors. When I click to connect though....the phone shows that it's dialing but that only lasts for a few seconds, then XP gives me a error saying that it cannot connect. The exact error code escapes me (I don't have my laptop at work today). I can dial this number normally, just not thru the Laptop.

Now, I've searched this site quite a bit but there's a lot of info to sift thru and I couldn't find the exact answer. I did see someone else with nearly the same question, but he was unanswered as well. I cannot find it, but I thought I had seen a post somewhere that stated that I had to call Cingular and have them "turn on the modem feature" of my V551. I called Cingular this morning and they led me to their Laptop Connect feature. I was under the impression that to "turn on" the feature in question was a nominal fee of like $3.99. Cingular is telling me I need to sign up for some bogus connection feature that costs anywhere from $19.99 to $69.99 to connect thru their system.

What I'm looking for is someone in the US who is a Cingular Customer and is actively using their cell as a modem. What process did you follow?

This isn't a huge deal for me, I'm just geeky enough that I want to get it to work....but not geeky enough to pay an exorbitant amount of cash to do so.

Again, big thanks to GeeDaddy and Mossyy for all the excellent info.

*I realize it's bad form to post without the error message I'm getting. I will post it as soon as I can in order to give an accurate view of my issue.*

Dell Inspiron 5100
    XP SP2
    MPT 3.23
    V551
    USB Connection Cable (Haven't gotten around to Bluetooth yet)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2005
  2. mossyy

mossyy Regular member

i have done that once and it works but can remember the steps so am going to tell u in general what i did...

open the MPT there is somewhere there for internet connection wizard, setup a new acount and put the ISP sevice number that u r dealing with, and it should work,,,,

anyway am not from USA to help u enough but that might give u an idea...

3. DAITENSHI

DAITENSHI Member

Thanks much. I'll give it a try.