1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V7 PS2, Magic 3.1 modchip - Plays PS1 backups... but not PS2 CD backups!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by TwystNeko, May 16, 2003.

1. TwystNeko

TwystNeko Member

I installed this myself - And PS2 originals (both DVD and CD) work fine, as do PS1 originals AND copies, on a variety of media.

However, I tried copying Rez, which is a CD-based game, in the same way that I do my PSX backups (Nero V5, DAO mode, etc.) and it fails every time with the RSOD.

Any ideas what I've done wrong? Is something miswired? I can't see any solder bridges, and I did check all the connections with a voltmeter. It's a Magic 3.1, without the clip.

2. L-dubb

L-dubb Regular member

I have noticed for some reason that nero is no good at making CD back ups of ps2 CD based games. I was getting the same problem. But when I used Recordnow max I have never had a problem since. If you have a bin/cue file of a CD based game then it burnes fine, but making an image from nero or doing a 1:1 copy doesnt work well. Try record now max and see how it works.

3. TwystNeko

TwystNeko Member

Well, I've just tried my 4th CD. Still no go. This time I tried Alcohol 120%.

This leads me to believe that I've screwed up on the install somewhere.. Or that the Magic 3.1 is messed up completely, and won't boot PS2 CD backups.

It's not the media, since I have PS1 games that are blue that work, and ones that are silver that work.

4. Juggles96

Juggles96 Member

I've had the same problem as you Twystneko, but no one has been able to help. They keep telling me that I may have burned it worng, but I know that's not the case. Good luck on trying to get it to work. If I find anything that works, I will let you know.

5. TwystNeko

TwystNeko Member

Well, I opened up my PS2 again last night, and checked all the connections to be on the safe side. No solder bridges.

Juggles96: Thanks, I appreciate this. Do you have a V7 playstation, too?

In all honesty, this isn't a big deal to me - since I plan on buying all my PS2 games. But I've installed the Magic 3.1 into other V7 playstations - with the same result. The chips were bought from different sources, though.

Perhaps this is a known issue with the Magic 3.1 and the V7 PS2?

I've got to install one into a V5/6, so we'll see.