1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V9 Matrix Infinity

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by bboy_flex, Nov 2, 2004.

1. bboy_flex

bboy_flex Regular member

hey everone hows it going. My question is this, i understand where all the points go for the modchip and i am preparing for installation. I have also been looking at pictures from norcalmods for chip placement. The one thing i notice is this wire on the very top of the picture. I don't understand why it is there since the matrix infinity instructions don't say anything about wire placement up there.

To better understand what i am saying please go to http://www.norcalmods.com and look at the V9 matrix infinity picture.

Can you guys please tell me why that wire is there and whether or not it is needed. Thank you in advance.

2. bigmac999

bigmac999 Regular member

3. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

bigmac is correct the single wire at the top of the picture is for the romeo mod

4. bboy_flex

bboy_flex Regular member

So basically if i buy a matrix infinity i wont have to solder the wire up there. How will i know if i get a Romeo mod or not?

5. bigmac999

bigmac999 Regular member

You dont have to solder a wire up there no.
    I think its reccomended as it reduces voltage going to the la chip and laser (i think) to help it last longer. I'm not realy sure on that though, I havent modded mine as I dont really understand wether I need to or not.

6. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

the romeo mod reduces the power from 12v to 5v, it's supposed to help with the laser life when using scratched/poor quality media, i beleive most modders do the romeo mod as a matter of course when modding v9/10 ps2's

7. bboy_flex

bboy_flex Regular member

Ok lets say that i don't change the voltage from 12 to 5 but instead use good media. Would it matter then whether or not i change the voltage?

8. Stang04

Stang04 Member

like they said u dont HAVE to change it, ur PS2 should still run fine. Romeo Mod is not required for you chip to work. I just got a pre-modded v10 PS2 myself and I started it up and the fan didnt work, so i just sent it back today to get fixed, i guess they missed the fan wiring when they were installing the matrix infinity chip. I included a diagram and instructions asking them to do the romeo mod for me since they were opening it up. I hope they do it just so I can feel assured my PS2 wont die soo quick.

9. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

at the end of the day it's your choice if you do the romeo mod or not but while your ps2 is in pieces fitting the chip and soldering all the chip wires what's one more wire

10. bigmac999

bigmac999 Regular member

Put it like that i'm thinking of doing mine now. Are there any disadvantages or any known problems with the mod

11. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

to the best of my knoledge there are no known problems with this mod, just be careful when lifting the leg on the chip

12. bboy_flex

bboy_flex Regular member

Yeah i guess your right man. I was reading the guide from the link bigmac999 posted. Basically all i have to do it lift the third bottom pin on the right side from the pad, solder a wire on it, and then solder to a 5v point. Is that all that is required or am i missing something. Also what do you guys recommend for lifting that pin since i dont wanna break it.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2004
  13. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

14. bboy_flex

bboy_flex Regular member

alrite i guess i will use a pin. Are there any other precautions i need to take when pulling the pin. Also are the steps i wrote correct or did i mess up somewhere?

15. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

just take your time when lifting the leg, don't force it, i also usualy wrap a small piece of tape around the leg after i have soldered the wire to it to make sure it can't make contact with the pad again

16. bboy_flex

bboy_flex Regular member

sounds good devilhunt. Thats a pretty good tip i will have to remember that. thanks for the help everone especially devilhunt. I will try soon just gotta order the chip.

17. bboy_flex

bboy_flex Regular member

Oh man i just realized i asked the same question 3 times. Sorry guys. Well thanks again to everyone that has helped me solve this problem especially devilhunt.

18. bigmac999

bigmac999 Regular member

Same from me, cheers devilhunt, you've explained it well. I think i'm going to do the romeo mod on my v9 too.
    Thanks.

19. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

your welcome

20. HyeVltg3

HyeVltg3 Member

ok wait guys i need help ( im new) ok i saw a Matrix MXL-2 and a Matrix Infinity, ok and when i look at the MXL-2 instrutions it said 'only a professinal should do this" and this is my first time sooo...i dont kno and on the MI it said that "even a novice can hook this baby up" soo...i dont kno which one
    MXL-2 = 30$
    MI= 50$

and o one more thing wheres a really good descriptive instrutions for the MI i want t see what it should look like when completed and how o do it ( i havent bought neither yet) plz help and ONE MORE THIGN! i got a V7 i think its SCPH-39001 i dont remeber what ver. it is :p thx