1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V9 PS2 Backup

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Drustan, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Drustan

Drustan Guest

Hi, I have a v9 ps2 (satin silver), which is fitted professionally with the messiah mod chip. I can play original ps2 & ps1 and ps1 backups, but I have of yet to get a ps2 backup to play on it. I tried backing up NHL 2004 using dvd decrypter to read and write iso file, and I also backed up the game using Nero 6 Professional Edition, but both copies failed to load on my ps2. This is my first attempt to backup my original ps2 games, using a 3.2 Pent IV CPU, 512 ddrram, 250GB H/D, 128mb Ati Radeon Pro, NEC DVD+RW ND-2100AD writer. I read and wrote on the writer and settings were set to max, write speed was @ 2.5 using a Primi Disc DVD+R. Can anyone please tell me have I been doing something wrong, or is there a boot method to load Ps2 backups (there is for the Ps1 backups). I had the address for the messiah chip for the different boot methods, but have lost that, but I dont recall there been any special boot up for ps2 backups. Hope some one can help. Thanks

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

try another game and see if it works. ive heard a lot of problems with nhl 2004.

3. Drustan

Drustan Guest

Great, thanks, by the way can my ps2 read dvd+rw discs? I'm going to give record now max a go at burning my games. I'm also going to reduce the speed of the write down to 1x.

4. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

rw should work

5. Drustan

Drustan Guest

Thanks again Sly, I'll keep you posted how I get on.

6. j2huggar

j2huggar Regular member

Try alcohol 120% before you waste all of your media trying to burn with other programs. Also, as people have posted in this forum, the ps2 is more adept at reading dvd-r than dvd+r, although this shouldnt be too big of a problem with your newer version ps2.

7. Drustan

Drustan Guest

Ok will do, have both alcohol and record now max, gonna give both a try. Well my dvd writer is a dvd+rw so i cant burn dvd-r's disc. By the way, is it ok to burn at higher speeds than 1x. I can burn @ 2.5x.
    Thanks again.

8. derek1965

derek1965 Guest

just wondering how you got on with the dvd+rw. I have a v9 too but mine is a pal version, it reads dvd+rw movies but any ps2 games i have tried on +rw dont seem to work

9. Drustan

Drustan Guest

Yeah mine is a PAL version as well, but still no good. Even though the disc rw size say 4.7GB, when using Alcohol 120% it only indicates approx. 4.3GB, and some games like NHL 2004 are larger than 4.3GB so I can only assume, you would have to use a DVD+R to back it up. By the way I'm still having no luck getting any my backup games to boot on my ps2. Is there a boot up method, and have you had any problems using DVD+R format discs. What type discs work for you. The only type of discs that I have used are Prime Discs. I going to try TDK ones, I have seen alot of people here recommending them. So I'm going to give them a try tomorrow, and I'll let you know how I get on.

10. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

it says 4.7gb, but it means 4.7 billion bytes. it is actually 4.377gb.

11. Drustan

Drustan Guest

Thanks Sly for that. Ahh Well I'm getting fed up now trying to back up my ps2 dvd games. Today the only branded dvd+r discs that I could get my hands on were Verbatim. I decided to use Alcohol 120% first, it seemed to read the game to my H/D fine (NHL 2004), but when i try to burn the image, it is saying that there is insufficent space on my Verbatim DVD+R disc for the image file. In fact it is only showing something like 300mb on the blank discs. I then used RecordNow Max, again it seemed to read fine and it burnt successfully too to the verbatim disc, but when i inserted the game into my ps2 it would load. The red screen appears asking me to insert a ps1 or ps2 format disc. I must be doing something wrong, has anyone any ideas? Thanks

12. Drustan

Drustan Guest

Sorry typo error above. It should read "would not load"

13. Drustan

Drustan Guest

Just downloaded the installation guide for installing a Messiah 2 Mod chip into a ps2.
    Does this mean that the messiah chip when it is installed in a V9 PS2, that the only discs that work are DVD-R, and not DVD+R??

14. derek1965

derek1965 Guest

sorry cant help you there but i use sm and flip top. all of my disks are backed up on the +r version apart from one which is on the -r and both + and - work for me. im sure there are plenty of people on here who have that chip and who can help you out.

15. KDFraud

KDFraud Member

Just to add fuel to the fire....

I recently bought a UK Satin Silver PS2 and had it chipped at the local PC Fair. DVD-R work for the smaller (Less than 3GB) backups but for the larger games DVD+R is much faster at loading and plays like an original game in its entirity. I use DVD Decrypter to do the disc images to my drive and then burn them using DVD Decrypter with never a coaster.

Only my two penneth worth but I read through loads of forums etc till I came up with this solution. I tried A120 but never really got good results.

16. Drustan

Drustan Guest

OK guys just flashed my drive, changed it from a nec_nd 2100 ad to nd 2500A. Not only does this make my drive dual format +&- write, but also doubles the speeds of dvdr write from 4x to 8x :D, nice.
    Tomorrow I'll get my hands on some dvd - media. I'll let you guys know do my backup games work then. Fingers crossed. Will this finally disclose that messiah 2 modchip on a ps2 will only allow dvd-r backup games play and not dvd+r.
    Later Days.