1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vaio desktop cpu replacement

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by redZoneOS, Jan 3, 2008.

1. redZoneOS

redZoneOS Regular member

hey I was wondering if it would be possible to swap my current cpu with a new one? I have an extra cpu and heatsink layin' around that I never used but am not sure if my prebuilt vaio system would be able to work with it... Any idea how I can find out? I tried contacting sony but they're not very helpful when it comes to swapping factory parts such as cpu.

I have a Vaio PCV RS-420 with a 2.8Ghz HT intel processor. The spare CPU I have is a Pentium D 840 I believe... 3.0 or 3.2Ghz... not sure

Can I swap these around? If so, is it even worth the effort for this upgrade?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  2. sparksman

sparksman Member

From the info you gave me and the search i did on the two cpu's, you would not be able to swap them out. Unfortunately the MB and cpu you are using is made for a socket 478. Your cpu that you want to put in is a socket 775, so they are not compatible. It looks like the one you would like to swap would be a little bit better, but unfortunately it won;t work.

3. redZoneOS

redZoneOS Regular member

aw man all right thanks! how did you find info on my vaio Mobo? I've tried sony and google but came up with nothing...

Anyway, that leads to another question if you have time. I have that pentium D processor, and some DDR 400 (PC-3200) RAM)... Do you know of a REALLY cheap motherboard that I can still buy which will work for this?

Background: computer stopped working a while back... not sure why, but I tested PSU (works), fans spin, but nothing... no beeps, no video, nothing. Tried reconnecting, reseating for grounding issues, testing it for POST etc. etc. It was a Machspeed P4MSD-800 mobo which is discontinued and I never registered it so no lifetime warranty :(

I just want a replacement so I can make these spare parts functional, its not like I'll get much if I sell them... Please recommend the cheapest mobo you can find that will use the above, and has onboard video (or an AGP slot)

Thank you thank you thank you! :p

4. sparksman

sparksman Member