1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vaio Operating System Not found, tricky problem

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by will1987, Feb 28, 2007.

1. will1987

will1987 Guest

Right hi guys I’ve been racking my brains for a couple of days now and can’t seem to find a solution.

I’ve got a Sony vaio laptop which had a broken DVD drive which would read DVD’s but not CDs anyway I’ve replaced that but the data on the hard drive was only slightly corrupt and won’t let me boot, obviously because I’ve not been able to install the drivers for the new DVD drive i can’t boot from that and I can’t boot from the hard disk either, any solutions

any help would be greatly appreciated

2. janrocks

janrocks Guest

I have a strange feeling you will have to rebuild the HDD in another computer, because this sounds like one of those nasty "catch22" situations. Sorry.. It's the only way we have found to get access to the dvd drive with machines that have no floppy drive.

3. will1987

will1987 Guest

wow that was quick thanks, hmmm i was thinking the same, ok next question if i was to buy a 2.5" external case can i use my pc to reinstall windows onto the laptop hdd??

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

won't work as windows has to see laptop motherboard to load. can the laptop boot off on an usb device? check in bios & user manual.

5. janrocks

janrocks Guest

That's an extremely good plan ddp.. I have to call in the shop tomorrow and will pick a few brains.
    I think I know what you are getting at too.. Like a boot floppy with dvd drivers (mscdex?) to get the installer running? Something like a win98 image on usb perhaps?

http://www.bootdisk.com/

6. will1987

will1987 Guest

thanks alot im know thinking i might need to re flash the bios tried another hdd drive in the laptop and still no luck any ideas how to do this,
    Thanks

7. ddp

the intention for the usb device was for an external rom drive so can boot off windows cd.

8. will1987

will1987 Guest

dont think the bios supports it, im trying to reset the cmos, where abouts is the battery or the jumpers its a Intel 915GM board
    cheers

9. whompus

whompus Active member

Intel 915GM is the chip set the board uses not the board itself. What Sony Vaio is it exactly? With that chip set, I am inclined to think boot from usb is an option, but one never knows with sony.

10. will1987

will1987 Guest

ahhh ok, its a sony vaio vgn-fs485b.
    thanks everyone for trying to help my stress levels are reachin an all time high at the moment!!!

11. will1987

will1987 Guest

got the laptop open at the moment but cant see the motherboard name anywhere or locate the battery for the cmos any ideas???

12. ddp

what country are you in as your model is not listed in north america?

13. will1987

will1987 Guest

14. whompus

whompus Active member

From doing a bit of searching on google I found someone that is trying to make the laptop a US system. It seems to be a system that was intended for China only. They seem to have found everything they needed but the mass storage controler drivers. I would think a bit of searching at intel site would locate that. I still think with a closer look inside the bios you will find an option in there to allow it to boot from usb device which would save a good bit of problems. It could be needed to be set in 2 places in the bios. First in usb device order then in boot order.

15. will1987

will1987 Guest

any ideas of how to clear the cmos

16. ddp

17. will1987

will1987 Guest

thanks but doesnt show the motherboard diagram. i need to know how to clear the cmos, is there anyway?

18. ddp

did you find any other batteries besides the main power battery? if so than 1 of those is your cmos battery.

19. will1987

will1987 Guest

nope tried to look but cant see anything else which stands out, could it be hidden somewhere?? are they normally close to the cpu??

20. will1987

will1987 Guest

looks like im about out of options then? anything one of my local pc stores could do ie change the bios chip or??