1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valid Fix for Xbox Error 21

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by pryme_H, Sep 20, 2007.

1. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

I need your help. I have a soft modded xbox. Recently, while ftping some roms into my hdd, I ran into error 21. I have scoured the internet looking for a cure to this problem. I have downloaded evox installer and aid 3.0, but neither worked. I'm still able to play original games but not back-ups. Also, I have gone to different forums and read much about what this error means. I'm not a computer savvy guy and taking my xbox apart is not an option. Please, if anyone out there can perhaps send me a working iso installer ready for burning to fix this problem, I'd greatly appreciate it. Take care ya'll.

2. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

The only way I know of to repair an Error 21 without opening the Xbox is via the Xbox LIVE trick!

Get a newer original game with Xbox LIVE capability (Burnout 3,Halo 2, etc) start the game up and tell it to connect to Xbox LIVE. Don't have any network connected and the disc should refresh the dash version and wipe the Error 21!

If that doesn't work (try a few games) you'll have to hotswap!

I can guide you through that when the time comes!

Goodluck!

3. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

chunkhead,
    thank you very much for your response. i really need to fix this xbox with the most frugal means possible (i'm in a lot of pressure already from the wife ;-)) I will rent one of the games you mentioned and let you know if it works. again, thank you very much. take care!

4. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

chunkhead,
    I'm afraid this isn't possible. I tried Ghost Recon 2, although old, I've realized that I don't have an xbox live account. I hit "Sign in" and screen reverts back to error 21. Hot swap is really something I'm very reluctant to do because of the fear of crashing both pc and xbox. Regardless, I still thank you for your help...

5. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

You don't need an account, you are not signing onto LIVE!

The games come equipped with a copy of the dashboard files. When you trigger LIVE it checks for compatibility. If it fails, it will update the dash so you can continue!

We can use this trick to restore the Error 21.

Try a new game!

Also, have a read of my tutorials, especially the XboxHDM Hotswap tutorial! If you do exactly as I say, you CAN'T damage either the console or your PC!

6. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

thank you. i will try other games. no other questions for now...i'll let you know, when everything else fails, if i'm ready to do hotwap.

7. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

chunkhead,
    Actually, I forgot to mention that I had ordered USB 2.0 to SATA + IDE (2.5 / 3.5 / 5.25") Cable Adapter here for my ps2: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=2020&cpc=SCH. I was wondering if this would be a good alternative to your hotswap method/tutorial. Thanks again.

8. SonnyJR

SonnyJR Member

I'm not "Very Good" at working out error codes but when I had gotten an Error 21 I just placed in my game that I used to softmod my xbox knowing the Exploit is still on my hard drive then just uninstalled Softmod then reinstalled. Non of my game saves or files where missing just a simple reinstallation of the Dash. Hope this can help you.

9. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

SonnyJR,
    Thanks for your reply. I've got one problem though; a buddy of mine soft modded this xbox for me. What game did help you fix this error, and I assume you didn't ftp of course? Thanks again for your help.

10. SonnyJR

SonnyJR Member

This may help you more it is a tutorial that I used to Install Softmod it is also helpful to know there is only three games liable to use to inatll. Ask your friend what game he used to softmod and fair warning do not unplug xbox power cable, if you have reconnect it before two hours pass the time you disconnected it.

11. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

Again, I appreciate the help. Thanks for the well elaborated tutorial. I think I've gotten enough help here...I understand that I in a nutshell I shall need the following: Ar Max, memory card and one of the three games mentioned on the tut. I might have to hold off on this...until I have the funds. I really appreciate the effort in trying to get my prob resolved.