1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

varied burn results, looking for advice

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jimw1, Sep 18, 2004.

1. jimw1

jimw1 Guest

Glad to have found this forum. It has helped me advance a lot after a discovering that burning DVDs isn't as simple as cramming a writer in your machine and pressing go.

My trouble seems consistent with a lot of posts. Burned movies play ok on the computer dvd player but with varying degrees of success on the tv dvd players (some work ok, others get about half way through the movie and begin to skip with increasing frequency until they stop).

Based on all I have read I will try to define critical components of my setup with all of the potential contributors and ask which may be the most likely trouble.

My procedure = DVD shrink + Nero that came with BTC DRW1108IM DVD+-R/RW CD-R/RW writer + Fujifilm DVD-R 8X disks

It sounds as if I may be suffering from a variety of things that include Fuji disks, InCD that came with Nero, Roxio Photosuite 4 or other. I will appreciate any advice.

Thank you
    Jim

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

I would probably say it's got a lot to do w/ Fuji media 'and' you really need to uninstall InCD & Roxio !:c)

If you have lots of Fuji media to use up I would then suggest that you try lowering the burn speed & also perhaps limiting the size of back up to 4400mb [a little shy of the outer edge of disc]

3. jimw1

jimw1 Guest

Thank you for the input. I have eliminated InCD and Roxio from my computer. I burned a new copy of the DVD (Shrek). This is one I had trouble with before. My result is the same (gets about half way through the movie and begins to skip with increasing frequency before stopping). Next I'll try some RW disks by Verbatim (consensus suggests this is a good brand). Any further suggestions are appreciated. I'm just looking for a robust recording condition that won't require a lot of tweeking in the future.

Thanks again
    Jim

4. jimw1

jimw1 Guest

Adding to my prior reply. Burn speed is set at minimum offered by DVD shrink when backup is selected. Disk size remains set a 4260 based on one of the messages from this site.

Jim

5. Gnomex

Gnomex Regular member

jimw1

Since your burns work on your PC without problems,..

it could be be a media issue. Pick up a few blanks from the local store and try a new burn. In the event that your stand-alone player will work withh DVD-R.W media go that route. Its a great way to test burns.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2004
  6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I have to agree with herbsman, that it's likely your choice of media. Another possiblity is the age of your standalone. Playing a DVD back on your PC doesn't mean it will work in your standalone. WinDVD and PowerDVD will play a movie evenif it has faults in it. Have you tried your copies on a few different standalones?

7. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Hi all. :)

jimw1, something that is often overlooked:
    Make sure your blank discs are free of dust, scratches and fingerprints. ;)

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Double "D" or just DD

Back from another holiday, or just taking a break?

9. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Neither, Sophocles. :)
    Doing my daily forums round. ;)

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Haven't seen much of you lately. When you say forums rounds, how many forums are we talking about?

11. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Four. I actually meant "message boards", not forums. ;)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

For DVD Shrink and related softwares guides and information, please visit http://www.dvdshrink.info[/small]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2004
  12. jimw1

jimw1 Guest

Hi all,
    I am returning with an update about my status. It seems to contradict a general understanding that slower burn speed yields the best results. I picked one movie to assess with a variety of changed conditions (different media types -R, -RW, media brands Fuji and Sony, eliminate software InCD and Roxio). After a lot of "coasters" I decided to return to my original conditions and let DVD Shrink and Nero set the burn speed for me at the default 8x(previously I had always chosen the option 4x with the understanding that slower is better). To my suprise, it worked well. In order to confirm that this was the actual cause I'll need some more successes (variability in media quality for my Fuji disks is still a question as I understand). Anyway, I hope that this experience has some value for readers.

All of the advice offered at this and other threads is well appreciated. It has helped a great deal. Thanks to all of the contributors.

Jim

13. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Hi Jim. :)

Recommending burning at a lower speed is usually done when the backups are freezing/stuttering.
    This is usually due to the media/burner/(firmware) combination.

As you demonstrated, burning at a speed lower than the intended one could also yeld less then perfect results, but I have personally never encountered this issue.

Pioneer A105 >> Ritek G04 4x >> burning at 2x >> good results.
    Pioneer A105 (only able to burn at 4x after firmware update) >> Ritek G04 4x >> burning at 4x >> coaster.
    Pioneer A108 (original firmware) >> Ritek G04 4x >> burning at 2x >> good results.
    Pioneer A108 (original firmware) >> Ritek G04 4x >> burning at 4x >> good results.