1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Varied speeds with decrypter and shrink....please help

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by dj2012, Mar 25, 2007.

1. dj2012

dj2012 Guest

I have a 933Mhz Pentium 3 with 256 Ram. Sometimes I would pop in a movie to back up with Shrink and it would read at about 5,000kb a sec. But this only happened about two or three times. Normally it would read at about 2,000kb/s. Strange.....then I came over here, to a friends computer. It is a 3ghz with about a gig of RAM. I would pop in a movie and it would rip it in about 15 minutes or so and at about 5 or 6,000kb/s. Now, and quite suddenly, it is even slower than my 933 computer. Is there anybody out there who has experienced this same issue. I sure would love to resolve this.....it's driving me crazy. Thank you. oh, also......when I use dvd dycrypter, I have the same issue.

2. FFsp42

FFsp42 Regular member

I haven't experienced this myself, but if you're having speed issues with Shrink, the first thing I would do is clean my hdd. Defrag your hdd and either manually clear out temp files, or run a program that will do it. One that performs pretty well is CCleaner. Find it here: http://www.ccleaner.com
    I would try this first and see if there is any difference. Shrink is notorious for not performing well on a fragmented hdd.

Another suggestion with your system specs is do not multi-task while running Shrink. That could also slow down the process. Hope any of this helps!

3. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  4. dj2012

dj2012 Guest

You know, I considered that.....I'm gonna check out the next post first before I do all of that, but a great idea. Thank you.

5. dj2012

dj2012 Guest

I check this out and you are right.....the only problem that I am having now is that I checked my settings and the transfer mode is "DMA if available" on both device one and two. The current transfer mode for device one is "Ultra DMA mode 2" and on device two the current transfer mode is PIO mode.......I don't feel as if I should uninstall the driver just based on the directions of the related thread. Not sure what to do now.....Thank you guys for helping me with this....it's driving me nuts

6. dj2012

dj2012 Guest

So I got a little impatient and went ahead and reinstalled the driver......it's working like a champ now....THANK YOU SOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!

7. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

no problem,
    your welcome

8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

dj2012
    For future reference uninstalling the channel the optical drive(s) are located on hurts nothing. Windows automatically picks the channel back up when you reboot. It's the most successful and quickest method I've seen to get a drive back into DMA.

9. dj2012

dj2012 Guest

So now I can't seem to keep my settings. I have uninstalled my driver at least 5 times and it just seems to keep going back to PIO mode. Not sure what to do at this point. Thanks.

10. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

If SATA, that isn't a problem. If IDE, it is. Troubleshooting the cause is sometimes difficult. Did you use the troubleshooting feature accessible through Device Manager?

Is this how you approached the DMA situation?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  11. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

The most frequent reason why a CD or DVD port/device falls back to PIO mode is because of a scratched or otherwise unreadable CD or DVD disk. If your drive is having difficulty reading the media, it will revert to the slower PIO mode to prevent errors during the process.

Another reason maybe a problem with your drive? I had the same issue with a Plextor drive, I noticed that it was set to operate in PIO mode so I reset it to have DMA enabled, all was ok until I used it to read a disk, it would revert to PIO mode. The drive eventually failed and needed to be replaced.

There are other reasons like:

-A not so rare hardware problem is a bad or too long IDE data cable. You need 80-way cables, not the older ones with only 40 wires. With poor cables the device may work, but Windows will probably step down to lower DMA speeds or even to PIO.

-Bad IDE channel on the motherboard.

NOTE: Here is a handy little app that can help you fix the problem assuming all is well with your hard ware.

http://www.michna.com/kb/tools/resetdma.vbs

-Despite any warnings click on the [Open] or [Execute] buttons as required to execute the file resetdma.vbs.

-If the program found any ATA channel to reset, reboot your computer and test all drives.

-If the problem is still not solved, set the offending channel to PIO manually, reboot your computer, set the channel back to DMA, and reboot again.

***Please note that this works only with the Windows drivers. If your device had its own manufacturer's drivers installed, this program cannot fix the problem and will not do anything to them. Instead it will report that no resettable DMA channels were found.

Cheers:)

12. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Did you know DVD Region + CSS Free has Enable DMA?

For what it's worth, I've had better success with uninstalling the channels. It's worked when selecting DMA wouldn't.

40 conductor cables are more a problem for signal bleedover than causing PIO as the drive mode. The 80 conductor has a ground separating each wire conducting a signal, preventing bleedover. Also 80 conductor is needed if the system is going to be set to CSL. I guess if the signal bleedover got bad enough, long enough it might cause a drive to revert to PIO. Luckily I've not run across that one yet. I've seen a lot of systems with 40 conductor cables and the DMA-PIO issue was never a problem, except for an occasional defective cable.