1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem Various Blue Screen of Death messages

Discussion in 'Windows 8 discussion' started by Kafka, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Kafka

Kafka Regular member

Every few days I get a blue screen if death error message and have to reboot my computer. The error messages are rarely the same. Today's message was Page_fault-in_nonpaged_area (igdkmd 32.sys), however, as I said, I receive many other messages. I have googled the various messages and the usual advice is to disconnect my various bits of hardware (printer, scanner, external hard drive, router and Inport {for recording from a turntable). I am supposed to see whether the BSOD appears after each piece of hardware is removed. This isn't practical as the errors aren't occurring consistently or every day so I wouldn't easily be able to tell which hardware is causing the problem.

Does anyone have any helpful advice?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

which version of win8\8.1? what is the system specs?

3. Kafka

Kafka Regular member

Windows 8.1 Pro, 32 bit.

4. ddp

do a full scandisk on your c: drive checking for errors & bad sectors. laptop or desktop as i want you to do something with the ram once you post reply?

5. Kafka

Kafka Regular member

I did a full scandisk on Drive C: which did not come up with any errors. I am a bit puzzled by the fact that my specs show that I have Windows 8 Pro even though I upgraded to 8.1 some time ago.

6. ddp

did this problem happen before 8.1 or after upgrade to 8.1?

7. Kafka

Kafka Regular member

I am not sure. Probably after the upgrade to 8.1.

8. Ketola

Ketola Fighting ninjas Staff Member

Have you checked your event log for error messages? The problem could be a failing harddisk or random USB-device. I recently dealt with a laptop that crashed randomly. Turned out it was due to an external USB3.0 HDD that was slowly failing. Also running Speccy might reveal something - even though it's not a diagnostics software.

If you're running a desktop computer it wouldn't be a bad idea checking that all the fans are working properly.

9. Kafka

Kafka Regular member

The hard disk is relatively new. I suspect that it may be a problem caused by a faulty driver belonging to one of my devices. I've attached a minidump which was produced by the blue screen of death.

Attached Files:

10. Ketola

Ketola Fighting ninjas Staff Member

That is a likely explanation. Can't help with analyzing the minidump (AFAIK they don't tell all that much to anyone but the driver developer), but I'd suggest running a memory test just in case. With Win8 it's rather simple. Just run the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/diagnosing-memory-problems-on-your-computer

Cleaning up drivers and re-installing devices one by one (every few days, if possible) is likely the only sure way of finding out what's causing the problem..