1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Varying DVD Encoding Speeds

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by OCDgamer, Aug 13, 2004.

1. OCDgamer

OCDgamer Member

My DVD burner encodes at a different speed from time to time. Is that normal?

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

I'm not quite following you here. Burners don't actually do any encoding, they either read or write. Are you referring to the read or write speed?

3. OCDgamer

OCDgamer Member

Sorry, I'm a bit noob. I meant the encoding process in DVD Shrink keeps changing speeds which is normal. The problem is that sometimes the maximum it encodes is at 1,500 kbps and sometimes it's at 5,000 kbps or even 11,000. I'm guessing that would have to do with available memory since it's a process the DVD burner doesn't do... Am I right???

Thanks.

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

The encoding process is entirely dependant of the speed of your processor, the speed of your RAM and how much RAM you have.

The kbps speeds your referring to are the transfer speeds when the drive is reading the source disc to your hard drive. The speeds can vary for different reasons, for example if the source disc has fingerprints or scratches on it, which cause read errors, the software will slow the drive down in order to get a more accurate read.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    "And there we saw the giants ... And we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight." Numbers 13:33[/small]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2004
  5. OCDgamer

OCDgamer Member

I've got it now,thanks for your help.