1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VCD and DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by st_pat, Apr 3, 2004.

1. st_pat

st_pat Guest

Hi...i have a quick question....ive got a few mpeg files that i want to put on a disc but thats the thing......there mpeg not the normal .vob and such as on a dvd...do i have to put them on a vcd or is it possible to put them on a dvd+r? im using Nero 6.

Thanx!

2. carefree

carefree Member

use TMPGEnc to encode your mpeg to mpeg2(dvd compliant)then use a authoring prog like TMPGEncDVDauthor to create your vobs,then burn with nero

Last edited: Apr 3, 2004
  3. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

hi st_pat
    Mpeg 1's will work too if endcoded properly,
    if you think vcd quality is acceptable.Ive been ripping some of my older dvds to vcds mpegs,and putting them into dvd author with pretty good results.(over 5 hours on one dvdr)
    Just load your mpegs into dvd author, and author will tell you if its been encoded right,and just keep adding them.Try not to go into the red on that meter at the bottom,or you will have to shrink it.
    Also you can burn with dvd author,so you dont need nero for that.
    good luck
    jim
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]you should never take life too seriously....you'll never get out of it alive!!
    if you can read this..you dont need glasses.[/small]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2004
  4. fritchdog

fritchdog Guest

This is exactly what I am looking to do. I currently found a very good ripper "Super DVD Ripper" by TinySoft that puts a DVD into either VCD, SVCD, or AVI(Divx). It even allows you to burn to a CDR (backup only) in either ISO data or VCD format. It works flawlessly even with copyrighted DVDs that failed in other softwares I tested.

My goal is to create a DVD library on my HD that I can view over my wireless media player which connects my PC to TV and Home Theater Reciever. I got that part working great, however, I would like to be able to later convert these MPEG2 and/or AVI files into a DVDR that I can play on an ordinary Home DVD player. I do prefer the AVI(Divx) format because I can store over 3X the amt of movies on my PC (150 movies).

Is there a way to convert AVI(Divx) files to .vob or .ifo format? Or, AVI(Divx) to MPEG2?

5. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

hi fritchdog
    heres a good guide divx to dvd: http://www.dvd-guides.com/guides.php?category=othertodvd&name=tmpegenc

you need TMPGEnc plus for mpeg 2's,TMPGEnc dvd author,both trial versions available on this page.

You can make mpeg 1's with a free version of TMPGEnc,you might want to look into the mainconcepts encoder which is much faster and more simple to operate.(more expensive however)trial version available

1.convert your avi's to either mpeg 1's or mpeg 2's

2.load the converted files in dvd author,see guide above link for author at the bottom of the page.

3.burn your vob's on the dvd author writting tool,or the burning program of your choice and off you go.

mpeg 2's are much larger than mpeg 1's so youll only get about two hours on a dvdr without compression.(picture quality better tho)

good luck and welcome to the club
    blaze on clubbers
    jim

6. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

opps i forgot the avi to mpeg 1 guide,i personally dont use vob sub because i dont want subtitles.
    just remember,smaller files=lower quality picture:http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/divx_with_subtitles_to_vcd.cfm
    i hope this is what you need.

the big drawback on both of these methods is that they both take several hours to do.
    good luck
    jim