1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VCD formats

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by element72, Dec 20, 2004.

1. element72

element72 Member

First I'd like to point out that my questions are based on the 2 images in this site http://www.freewebs.com/vcdpic/.

I've found 2 different VCD formats which are .DAT and mpeg 1. First I used the vcd burning option in Nero and I burned the "shrek 2.Dat" on a 700mb cd-rw (this was a successful burn).

Then I converted the .DAT into mpeg 1 (another VCD format) and used Nero to burn a vcd on another 700mb cd-rw. Unfortunately Nero detected that the media was larger than 700mb but I though Nero would encode it to .DAT or something....

Is there a way to actually convert a media file into .DAT (to me.. it seems that .Dat is the smallest VCD format u can get)

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

No, .DAT is a [bold]mpeg with header[/bold], a 'riff file', and exactly it is 101.24% bigger than the original MPG. Therefore .DAT is NOT a 'small' movie: the original mpegs were surely small and a little smaller than the DATs you have (check it by re-converting them to mpegs with VCDGear). You can re-convert a DA inyo mpeg by choosing [bold]dat --> mpeg [/bold] in VCDGear. You turn the MPG into a DAT automatically, when you make a VCD image with VCDGear, MPG -> DAT ('mount' that image and extract it, to check what happens).

To make a VCD with a 700 MB mpeg DO NOT USE NERO (even it would encode the movie only if you chososed VCD in the wizard, it is not safe because it simultaneously converts + burn)! Read http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/110106 .

And all mpegs can be either MPEG-1 (VCD) or MPEG-2 (SVCD, DVD but changed into files with VOB extension).

3. daemonzx6

daemonzx6 Regular member

In more understandable terms, the DAT is like a VOB. It contains the MPEG1 stream, but is in the format that can be read by players, with the added information for I'm guessing button functions. A VCD can't have an MPEG1 file on it, it wraps the MPEG1 in a DAT which is what is actually burned to the CD.

4. element72

element72 Member

is there a way how I can convert a 705mb(avi) to a mpeg that's below 700mb?

5. daemonzx6

daemonzx6 Regular member

yes, select "mpeg output" in TMPGEnc and lower the audio and video bitrates. to find out what to lower them to, get a bitrate calculator. I recommend the one included in DV Tool.

6. element72

element72 Member

I don't know how to adjust the bitrate cause the settings are highlighted in grey. Is TMPGEnc free along wit DV Tool. Where is DV Tool?

7. daemonzx6

daemonzx6 Regular member

if you are using the wizard, then after you select the media you will convert it to, down in the lower right corner is a button that should read "MPEG Output." click it, and then you should be able to change the bitrate settings. DV Tool is a freeware tool that I beleive is available here on afterdawn.