1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vcd freezes near then end of the movie

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by paulski, Aug 2, 2003.

1. paulski

paulski Member

Hi I am converting DIVX to VCD via vitualdub, tmpgenc and burnung with nero, getting god results overall apart from a really annoying prob. Towards the end of the movie when I watch it on my dvd player the picture gets really bloccky and usually freezes. Its seems to be in the last 15 minutes of a movie just at the exciting part!! The mpeg file plays fine on my pc it seems to be only when burned to VCD and played in my dvd player. I now have a fine collection of coasters, any ideas to sort this prob? I thought maybe burning at a low speed or perhaps I ned to alter sojme settings in TMPGENC?
    Any pearls of wisdom greatly appreciated.

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

hmm, so what kind of stick?? complete stop?? or just sticky playback?

3. paulski

paulski Member

weeeell, it starts to get blocky and then comes to a complete halt, as if i've paused the movie.
    If i then press play or advance the movie on a few secs itll be ok for a bit and then do the same. ie. an unwatchable movie. Not good when you've just spent 70 or 80 minutes watching it and are getting to the end of the movie! It wouldn't be as bad if you could tell it was a flaky copy at the beginning...

4. Dela

ouch, did u check the source file for bad frames?

5. paulski

paulski Member

nah i think the source was fine.... i think i've sussed it i watched one i burned at a lower speed last night and it seemed fine, maybe thats been the prob all along. I've seen a few posts lately that talk about burning no faster than 4x, well my burner top speed for cdr is 52x and I've been burning at 40x. the one i watched last night I burned at 24x and was ok. will try that from now on and hopefully prob will be solved!

6. Dela

ok, let me know how ya get on!

7. paulski

paulski Member

will do. BTW i wonder if you can point me in the right direction. I was burning DIVX movies to 1 cdr fine using virtualdub, tmpgenc and nero. I had to reformat my HDD unfortunately and now I can't get movies onto 1 CDR anymore. I think its something to do with getting TMPGENG settings right with templates or the 2 movies I am trying to do it with are XVID. Am i able to do the same thing the same way with XVID that I was doing with DIVX? Can you point me in the way of some good tutorials?
    Cheers matey.

8. Dela