1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VCD Lacks Bass (Very tinnie sound)

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Nuffja, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Nuffja

Nuffja Member

Hi there, I am having problems with my sound when I create VCDs, the sound when played on tv is very tinnie and lacks bass is there a way to get a better sound quality?

I am capturing audio at CD quality using PCM 16 bit 44100Hz. I then encode to VCD using TMPGenc using the wizard.

Also is there a filter to help smooth out pixelations?

Cheers

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well you Can try useing a Totally seperate program to encode the audio Instead of Tmpgenc or you can use one of the High Quality external Audio encoder Plugins for Tmpgenc Like SCMPX, The Produce much better Audio Quality that the Default Encoder in tmpgenc...And if you are Haveing problems with Macroblocks then you can Try useing a Higher Bitrate and Make a Non-Standard VCD or XVCD and there is One setting in Tmpgenc under "Quantize Matrix" called "Soften Block Noise" this will get Rid of some of The Macroblocks and Pixelation....Cheers

3. Lostboy76

Lostboy76 Member

hey minion ... what is scmpx? do i just put the exe file in the ext audio path?

I'd like to know ... i get very lil base also
    i read about svcd being able to have 5.1 sound, but it never does this ... how do i get this 5.1 sound? what do i use to convert ac3 to 5.1sound?

what do you use for sampling frequency?

the soften block noise ... under quantize matrix what do i set the intra and non intra at? what does it mean? do you leave the setting as default?

thanx

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Hi, SCMPX is an External Audio encoder and Sample Rate converter that can be used in Tmpgenc as the audio encoder..The way you install it in Tmpgenc is you go to "Options" to "Enviromental Settings" to "Audio Engine" and were it says "Mpeg 1 Layer 2 Encoder" click "External program" and then Browze to the "SCMPX.exe" file and select it and then do the same for the "Sample Frequency Converter" ...I personally use a Whole seperate Program for Createing my audio Files ,I usually use Sound Forge for Mpeg audio files and "Vegas Video 4" for "Dolby digital AC3" audio files cuz these Program can adjust the Properties of the Audio so it sounds Better...SVCD"s Can not have 5.1 Sound But there are Some DVD Players that will Play SVCD"s that Have Mpeg 5.1 Audio but I have only ever heard of one Program that can create Mpeg 5.1 and that is "ReMpeg" but your DVD Player will Most Likley will Not Play it even if you could create these Files...If you want Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound in your SVCD"s then get a DVD Burner and Burn SVCD"s to DVD with Dolby 5.1 audio, I have Literally hundreds of SVCD Movies on DVD that Have Dolby audio and they all Play Perfectly, even better than they did as SVCD"s on CD-R...For the Soften Block Noise setting it is Best to leave it at the Default of 35 because if you Put it much Higher your Image will get really Blurry....Cheers

5. Lostboy76

Lostboy76 Member

aight... you the man!

thanks minion ...

does the soften block noise make it look like the soften filters in virtual dub? i don't like it too soft and i'm not really sure i need it ... i'm making svcd with very low bitrate (800-1500) not sure if there is a better way of doing so.

I guess i'll settle for the sound i have now ... but i just made some svcd with the external engines .... i used ssrc and toolame .. couldn't find the one you use on this site ...

thanks for the info ... is there a way to turn up the base ... like a program that can enhance it after ? how about 3.1? i use the audio edit so the conversation is soft and the rest is a little bit noisey ... and not so clear...

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well if you are Makeing a SVCD with that Low of a Bitrate then you should definately be useing the "Soften Block Noise" option...It will Only affect the Macroblocks that are Caused By a Lack of Bitrate...If you Know how to Frameserve useing AVISynth and CCE SP 2.67 then I would recomend useing that route instead of Tmpgenc because CCE is Probably the best Mpeg2 encoder on the Market and it Really Shines when useing Low Bitrates, I am useing it Right now for encodeing to DVD at 720+480 useing a Average Bitrate of 2350kbs which is even less than the standard bitrate for SVCD and the Quality is as good or better than any encoder can do useing Twice the Bitrate...If you don"t believe me then PM me with your E-Mail address (Not Hotmail cuz the mailBoxes are too small) and I can send you a Small Clip so you Can check it out and if you Like the Quality I can teach you my Top secret Method...lol Cheers