1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VCD(Nero) sound distorted on TV only ?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by lacr, Mar 30, 2004.

1. lacr

lacr Member

I have searched the entire forum for my questions but couldn't find anything useful so here they are :

1. I converted a DVD into VCD format and burned the MPEG file into a VCD using Nero 5.5.5.6. The VCD plays fine on my Toshiba DVD player but the sound is a little distorted. But the original MPEG file plays the sound perfectly without distortion on Media Player on my computer. As anyone encountered this before ?

2. I have done a search everywhere on the web about "how to test play a burned VCD on Media Player or on my computer" but I couldn't find any article about how to do it. Some articles just state that VCD can be played by Media Player and any DVD software but there's no guide !! I tried putting the VCD into my computer and run the PLAY button on my WinDVD 2.3 software but nothing happens. I couldn't figure out how to tell Media Player to play a VCD on the computer. Any idea ?

thanks

2. whassup

whassup Regular member

It's either your media (low quality) or your stand-alone player.

For the media, try burning at a slower speed or use a different media.

If it's your stand-alone, then you gotta get a new one. :(

To check out stand-alone compatibility, there's a good chart at dvdrhelp.com.

3. lacr

lacr Member

Thanks for pointing out the compability list. I checked it and I did find one comment about sound flacky.

However, the strange thing is : the VCD sound is only flacky if I manually burn a "VCD" format using Nero. If I tell Nero to burn a CD image prepared by VCDXBuilder(.cue and .bin) then the VCD sound is perfect. (Actually I use DVD2SVCD bundled software for the entire process)

Also regarding my question #2 : what about testing this VCD on my computer's Media Player ? Any idea how I can test it ? If the sound plays fine on Media Player then I can at least know it's the Toshiba DVD player's problem ?
    thanks

4. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

You need to manually select the DAT File, and then Windows Media Player will play it.

And you should upgrade to the latest Nero 5.5.10.56 and see if this resolves your issue with the Video and audio not syncing up.

5. lacr

lacr Member

I solved my own problem. thanks for all the tips though

the flaky sound is only from MPEG files that I chopped and processed with TMPGenc - I wasn't aware of the settings under the "Join" tab in MPEG Tools. It's set to "MPEG-1 System (Auto)" by default. It never even crossed my mind that it was the problem(cuz I have been letting DVD2SVCD do all the work) !! Once I changed it to "MPEG-1 Video-CD" then the sound is perfect on TV - regardless of how I burn it :
    - drag it into Nero VCD format (upgraded to 5.5.10.56)
    - prepare .cue and .bin with VCDimager or VCDxgen then VCDxbuild then burn with Nero or CDRDAO

Overall it's a pretty satisfying experience troubleshooting this. Since I learned how to create CD images manually and XML files, and using CDRDAO(I thought Nero was the problem). But I wasted 10 CDs to isolate the problem !! oh well, at least I found the problem. It's not with Nero, TMPGenc, or Toshiba player. anyway, just a tip for you all if someone ever asks this again !!

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

You "ALLWAYS" have to edit and Join VCD?SVCD Files useign the "Proper" VCD and SVCD Settings in the editor...There is a Differance between VCD files and Mpeg1 files...VCD"s must have a Specific Mux rate and they Need to have a VCD Header in the Stream or they will not play properly....