1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vcd no sound

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by cbjargon, Mar 5, 2006.

1. cbjargon

cbjargon Member

i have a dvd player (not cpu one) but that one only plays mpeg 2 and that means vcd but when i burned it the videos came out fine but there was no audio. I used a encoding program oss to convert the movies from avi and wmv to mpeg 2. Then i saved the movies in folders then drag / drop in nero 6 vcd and tried it in svcd option. When u open the movies in folders it plays well in windows media player 10 with sound and video just when i go to burn it - it doesn't have sound.

2. Jigen

Jigen Regular member

A dvd player plays mpeg2 which is DVD. No need to burn a VCD, some players don't even support VCD or SVCD at all anymore.

3. cbjargon

cbjargon Member

so all i have to do is use oss conveting program to convert the avi's and wmv videos and THIS TIME select mpeg 1 instead of mpeg 2, then save it in to folders and then in nero 6 select (DVD-VIDEO) and use drag and drop for the files. Also in nero 6 the dvd iso won't work in my stand alone dvd player probably. But making a dvd video probably would. Hopefully it has sound this time after burning.

All i want to do is compile all my discs of cd-rs with videos on them, compile all of them to dvd and then have them play in my stand alone dvd player while it's recording to vhs. That's it!

4. Jigen

Jigen Regular member

What's causing your audio problems is probably the way you are converting these files, ie not right. If these files are old downloaded stuff, there is no telling what the audio is encoded at. VCD needs to be 44khz (48khz may work in some cases, but I digress) and DVD has to be 48khz. If these files don't comply, you get no sound on your standalone. You WILL most likely get sound playing them on a software player like WMP 10.
    The simple way I'd do this is to create a DVD not a VCD. Convert to mpeg2 with OSS, rip out the audio from each and every one that is out of spec and re-encode them to 48khz for DVD. Then I'd use TMPGEnc DVD Author to open each video and tell it to use the new streams I just created for the audio instead of the original streams. Create menu, author, burn, enjoy.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2006
  5. cbjargon

cbjargon Member

also in oss the audio to choose from when selecting convert to mpeg 1 or 2 is 32 to 384 and when i open the program usually it is highlighted on 128?