1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VCD on a DVD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by dexter195, Aug 15, 2004.

1. dexter195

dexter195 Guest

i have a few home videos that i have converted to mpeg.

i was wondering if there are any programs that would allow me to burn these onto a dvd into vcd format so that i could get roughly 8hours onto the dvd.

ive tried this with nero and cyberlink power producer gold, but they dont allow me to burn onto a dvd only a cd.

thanks for the help

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Yes you Can...The Only Differance between the VCD format and the SIF/CIF DVD Format is the audio which for it to be on a DVD has to be 48000HZ which VCD"s are 44100HZ...

So what you will have to do first is take the Mpeg files and De-Multiplex them into seperate audio and video Files...
    Then take the Audio and Resample it to 48000hz and then author the audio and Video files to DVD useing a DVD authoring program that supports the SIF or CIF DVD Format Like "Tmpgenc DVD author".....

You can use "Tmpgenc"(The encoder) to De-Multiplex the Mpeg files and to Resample the audio to 48000HZ and you do nopt need to Re-Mux the files cuz Tmpgenc DVD author will accept seperate audio and Video files...You will just have to make a Main Menu with Button Links going to each Movie so you can select what Movie you want to watch....

If you would have Known before hand that you were going to put these files on DVD then you could have used Mpeg2 instead of Mpeg1 and encoded the audio to the Correct sample rate in the First Place.....

Cheers

3. zarlaan

zarlaan Member

Dosen't NeroVison Express 2 accomplish the same thing?

4. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Personally I would not use any Nero products for this. Especially if nero is gonna resample the audio :S. Nero would probably encode the entire file to DVD, ending out with a compilation thats over 4.36GB!

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Yes Vision Express would Not only Re-Encode the Whole File (which will Totally ruin the quality as the Vision Express encoder is Pretty Bad compared to other good quality Standalone encoders), but it will probably resize the Image to 720+480 which would also greatly degrade the Quality....

Cheers

6. nist

nist Member

I would recommend to use tmpgenc dvd author. It can create a DVD from mpeg1 files(i.e. vcd). It also converts the audio automatically to 48khz. Otherwise, use tmpgenc xpress and convert the audio, 44,1->48khz and then use your existing dvd authoring tool. This since DVDs play mpeg1 files without any problem (as suggested above :).

7. dexter195

dexter195 Guest

cheers for the suggestions lads. i got myself a dvd player that plays all types of mpeg files, divx and xvid etc so i wont need to re-encode anything.

thanks again

dex

8. Minion

Minion Senior member

Even if your DVD Player Plays all Formats you Still Have to Follow the DVD Specifications..Meaning if you want to put VCD files on a DVD you will still have to re-sample the audio to 48000hz....
    Even if your DVD player can handle the audio at 44100HZ no DVD authoring Program would allow you to author 44100hz audio to a DVD....

and also I think if you want to watch Xvid or DivX files in a Mpeg-4 enabled DVD Player the Files only work when Burned to CD-R not as Data DVD"s but I guess you will find out if they work or not soon enough...

Cheers

9. dexter195

dexter195 Guest

nuts. i guess il have to wait till i get it then. i'll let ye know what the story with it is when i get it + its specs so if any1 else has the same query etc they'll know what they can do with it

dex

10. Aeros24

Aeros24 Member

Ok. I used the TMPGEnc to pack the VCD files to a DVD but I did't re-format the audio.

The audio was 44100HZ and the video was VCD NTSC (I live in Finland so it's PAL systems in here)

The sound is good and there's nothing wrong but.. THE PICTURE IS GREEN and also a little more or less funny coloured..

What's the problem here??

11. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well If you want this File to Play on a DVD Player you "ABSOLUTLY MUST" Resample the audio to 48000HZ because no DVD authoring Programs will accept 44100HZ Audio on DVD...

Plus you can Not Properly Convert NTSC Footage to Pal useing TMpgenc, especially 29.976fps NTSC to Pal....

If you want to convert NTSC to Pal try useing "Canopus Procoder" or if you know how to use AVISynth then it would be easier...

Is the Video Green After encodeing with "Tmpgenc" or after authoring "Tmpgenc DVD author"????

You can try makeing a NTSC DVD and see if the NTSC DVD Plays on your Pal System?? There is a Better chance that NTSC Footage will Play on a Pal DVD Player as opposed to a Pal Video being Played on a NTSC DVD Player....

TMPGenc DVD Author will Resample the audio in the Mpeg1 files to 48000HZ but in LPCM/Wav format which takes up too much disk space ,but if you have the Dolby Plugin it will Convert it to Dolby Digital....

12. cgram7

cgram7 Member

this is my first attempt to convert vcd to dvd. i am using TMPGEnc and the guide supplied by AD. i have the image mounted (alcohol 1.9.2) when i start the simple de-multiplex i get an error message that says the videooutput directory could not be created i changed the directory as it says in the guide and i have 35 free GB on the drive any suggestions are greatly appreciated

13. dexter195

dexter195 Guest

"and also I think if you want to watch Xvid or DivX files in a Mpeg-4 enabled DVD Player the Files only work when Burned to CD-R not as Data DVD"s but I guess you will find out if they work or not soon enough..."

i got the "Yamada DVX 6600 Dvd Player" it plays divx, xvid, mp3, vcd etc. it will also play mpegs recorded at any audio bit rate, so you dont need to re-encode the vcd's. you can also record the files onto a dvd, it will play mpeg, mp3, avi's, jpeg's etc recoreded onto the same dvd so you dont have to recored mp3's on a seperate disk to avi's or mpegs etc.

dex