1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VCD Still Images Extraction

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by cookieman, Oct 31, 2002.

1. cookieman

cookieman Member

Hi there...have looked everywhere to see if there is an answer to this. I created a VCD from still images [jpeg]. I used Nero to create the VCD and it worked wonderfully...now I need to extract these still images back out of the VCD file as I have[ahem..]'misplaced' the original files...and this is the only place they are!!...so my question is can it be done? [BTW have tried to change .dat file to mpeg and this hasn't worked :(]

2. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

vcdgear will convert your .dat file to .mpg, and tmpgenc can output this mpg into bmp/jpg.

3. cookieman

cookieman Member

Okay..thanks for this...change from DAT to MPEG went fine...the next step seemed to be working okay but I noticed I was getting literally thousands of images out...each time I get several jpgs for the same picture [which weren;t great quality]...I understand why this happening but is there any other way just to extract a single image?

4. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

It does, doesn't it?

Players such as WinDVD have a image capture feature. Otherwise you can use tmpgenc's preview option, ctl-c to copy the image to the clipboard, and save to a file using your favourite still image program like photoshop.

5. cookieman

cookieman Member

Alright....I can do that...I'm just glad there was a way to get them back out...I was beginning to give up hope!!