1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VCD stops at title

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by daro, May 14, 2003.

1. daro

daro Member

I am making my first DVD backup - R2 Charlies Angels. I've used Smart Ripper, DVD2AVI, TMPGEnc to make the 2 mpeg movie files. These files will play if I click on them on the PC with Win Media Player. So then I used Nero Express 5.5 to burn then the discs. But in my stand-alone Scan SC-2000 DVD (which plays VCD's) they won't go any further than the title screen that Nero has created.
    Any ideas?

2. tommays

tommays Member

i use http://www.vcdeasy.org/it is free and made to only burn VCD I was using nero but found this program to be bullet proof because of its due one thing right method rather than every thing so so

tommays

3. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

press 1 and play if that doesnt work, press 2 and play

4. daro

daro Member

Thanks for the replies tommmays and Dela. I'm downloading VCD easy right now to see if life is easier with that.
    I managed to get it to play once I turned off the PBC off on the VCD player.
    However, the sound is out of sync (slightly ahead) with the pictures. Even if I switch off the pro-logic in my AV amplifier it is still the same. Any ideas on that?

5. Dela

what burn speed did you use and are you using good media?

6. daro

daro Member

I couldn't get Nero Express to offer me lower than 8x on the drop down menu, so tonight I'll spin up VCD easy and see if that works at a lower speed (less than 4x I believe is the receommended number).
    My CD-R's are from local supermarket - Smartbuy. If they still don't work at a lower burn speed then I'll buy a few premium ones and see if that helps.
    I there some freeware that I can use to read the VCD on the PC? Then I can see if the problem lies with my standalone player - some kind of compatibility problem could always be a possibility I guess.

7. Dela

Play the .dat file in the MPAGAV folder on your cd in WinDVD or WinMedia something

8. daro

daro Member

I did that and the .dat file was OK.

Eventually I found that it seemed to be the input settings on my AV amp that is hooked up to my standalone DVD player. I had it set to auto audio input before, but once I changed it to analog input then the sound was synced with the picture, even on the first disc I burnt at 8x with Nero and cheapo CD-R. The second half of the film I did with VCD easy and that was was fine too.
    Now, I am going to try and encode chapters with chaperXtractor/VCD easy and then take on the new challenge of doing a multi-episode DVD rather than just a single track movie.
    Thanks for all the help - it's a great website.

9. Dela

no probs, good luck man