1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VCD to DVD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by jokerman2, Jun 19, 2004.

1. jokerman2

jokerman2 Guest

I will just like to know what everyone is using to convert VCD to DVD.

How do you rip the VCD to the Hard Drive and change the DAT file to MPG.

Thanks

2. kcc76

kcc76 Regular member

i use iso buster and then svcd2dvd it takes a while though

3. Minion

Minion Senior member

All you Need to do is Copy the Dat file to your Desktop and rename it to .mpg...Then you just have to de-multiplex the .mpg file into seperate audio and Video files and then resample the Audio to 48000hz and then use something like "Tmpgenc DVD author" to add you menu"s and Chapters and Burn it to DVD ...You should not be wasteing a whole DVD for one VCD Movie as you can fit 3 or 4 VCD movies on a Single DVD-R, you just need to resample the VCD audio to 48000hz...Easy as Pie and no re-encodeing of the Video and no quality loss....Cheers
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]It"s better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On!!![/small]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2004
  4. jokerman2

jokerman2 Guest

Minnion,

When I copy the DAT File to the destop and rename it with the file extension .mpg, it still say that it a DAT File.
    When I tried to Demultiplex I cant find the .mpg file.

5. jokerman2

jokerman2 Guest

Note

Their are more than one files on the VCD. I would like to join them all together. How can you go about doing this.

Thanx

6. Vegetto

Vegetto Member

7. Minion

Minion Senior member

I guess you don"t have File Extention Nameing enabled in your Operateing system...
    To get Tmpgenc"s "Simple De-Multiplex" to load the Dat file set the File type to "All Files" and then you can load the Dat file..I know Cuz I just tried it with an VCD and it worked no Problem, at least in XP..
    A Dat file is Just a Mpeg1 file with a RFF Header and most programs will ignore that part of the Header cuz it is made for your DVD Player to read...

8. Vegetto

Vegetto Member

I know how to activate file extension in a persons opertating system, go do this: open up the folder your file is in, if its on the desktop just make a new folder and put the file in their. Then go to tools and then to folder options click on folder options then go to view then you should see something saying Hide extensions for known file types and uncheck that box and click apply and ok then you can change the file type

9. hypnotix

hypnotix Member

here is the problem. i have vcd moive with two different languages, how do i manage to convert that into the dvd?? and would it work for me to have two different languages??

10. Minion

Minion Senior member

Yes.. you can put 2 different Languages on to a DVD, and they would be selectable like on a regular DVD but you would have to use a High end DVD Authoring program that supports createing DVD"s with Multiple audio tracks...
    You would have to use a audio editor to seperate the seperate Languages from the VCD"s audio .. I assume the audio on the VCD has one Language on the Left side and one Language on the Right side and you either Pan to the Left or right Chanell depending on the Language you wanted??? Is this Right??
    If so you would De-Multiplex the VCD into it"s seperate audio and Video files ,Then you would load the Audio into a Program like Sound Forge or Goldwave and seperate each language Chanell into it"s own Sterio audio file and save the audio files as 48000hz Wav files or Mpeg 1 layer 2 audio files....
    Then you would use a DVD authoring Program like "Ulead DVD Workshop 2.0" to create the DVD with 2 Audio tracks, You would make sure you made a Menu option that would allow you to Choose which language you wanted to use ,You could also add up to 36 different Languages of Subtitles with Ulead DVD Workshop 2.0 and 8 Audio Language tracks ,You can even Make your own Subtitles with the program....
    The only problem is that the Program costs over $400 ,I got my copy for $199 but that is because I had an earlier version that I upgraded from..
    There are other programs that support Multiple audio Tracks but all of them are Pretty high end expensive programs but you can Download the Demo version of "Ulead DVD Workshop 2.0" and use it for 30 days, It does have some limitations in Demo mode but You should still be able to use it to do what you want it to....
    Here is a List of other programs with the same Features...

Spruce DVD-Maestro 2.9
    DVDLab Pro
    Adobe Encore DVD 1.XX
    Sonic DVD Producer 4.0
    Sonic Scenarest 3.0
    Sonic ReelDVD 2.x-3.x
    Sony DVD Architect 1.0-2.0

And there are a few more i can"t think of right now...Good luck
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]It"s better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On!!![/small]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2004
  11. nonecred

nonecred Guest

hey when i try to de-multiplex the mpg all i get is video_streem and padding streem and when i double click one file is a .m1v file and the otha is a .dat file and there both really small.. could any one tell me what im doing wrong here ? thanx

12. Minion

Minion Senior member

If the "De-Multiplex" doesn"t show an audio stream in your Mpeg file and only the Video and Padding stream then it sounds like your Mpeg1/Dat file is corrupted or at least tmpgenc seems to think there is something wrong with the file...

Try useing the "Simple De-Multiplex" as opposed to the regular De-Multiplex to seperate the file into seperate audio and video files and if that doesn"t work then try this:

Load your Mpeg1 file into the encoder part ot Tmpgenc as the Video source and see if it shows up in the audio source also, If so then on the Right click "ES(Audio Only)" and then click the "Settings" button and in the "Audio" setting set the:
    "Stream Type" to "Mpeg 1 Layer 2" and set the:
    "Sampleing Frequency" to "48000hz" and the:
    "Bitrate" to "384kbs" and then put a check next to "Error correction" then click "OK" at the bottom and then click "Start" and then Tmpgenc should resample the audio for you and you should have a DVD Compliant Audio file ,Now you just take the video file you got from the De-Multiplex and the audio file you just created and author them to DVD useing a DVD Authoring program...

I hope this helps ....Cheers