1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VCD to VCR black and white only

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by oozat, Feb 27, 2003.

1. oozat

oozat Guest

First off, as a VERY new newbie it's been an education to read through the forums here. Thanks to them I have successfully converted avi to MPEG AND resynchronised the audio - using AudioDub and TMPGEnc before burning with Nero.
    However, although the VCDs play OK in my standalone DVD player (Pioneer) I'd like to know why I can't record the VCD onto VHS tape successfully - it records in black & white only, though the VCD plays in colour through my t.v.
    I've tried connecting through SCART, SVHS and RCA. I've connected directly between DVD and VCR and through my tv (Sony) - it makes no difference. Any ideas anyone?

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

This is not uncommon, its most likely the vcr just wont be able to display colour from the dvd player!

Try this to test. Get 2 scart leads and connect one from the dvd players output connection to the vcr input connection. Now connect the second scart from the output of the vcr to the tv.

start the vcd playing and switch on whatever channel uses the scart on your tv (usually av1 or 0). Now you might have to change channels on your vcr to find the right channel to pick up the scart lead from the dvd player. But when you finally find it, if its playing in black and white then it must be a colour issue between both the dvd and vcr, if its in colour then thats very strange, lol! let me know anyway!

3. oozat

oozat Guest

Hi Dela
    I had already tried the set up as you describe. However, out of deference to you taking the time to reply to my post I reconnected as follows:
    DVD (Pioneer) scart to AV2 (input) on Philips VCR. AV1 on VCR connected via scart to AV3 input on (Sony) t.v. I even tried AV2 on tv.
    VCD produced colour on the tv but VCR recorded only in monochrome! Strange huh? I even tried with a different VCR (JVC) and got the same result.
    Now I'm curious - why should this be? I started from an avi and encoded to MPEG1 myself, then burnt the VCD using Nero. I had assumed any copy protection would have been ripped out as I don't get any picture degradation as with straight DVD to VCR copy - could it be some vestige of the copy protection causing this effect?
    I'll pursue any ideas - I don't like not knowing!
    Thanks

4. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

It's stange alright, it must be an issue your dvd player has with vcd, i have never actually read that posted before so its odd!