1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VCD with Roxio - newbie

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by Ianmic, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Ianmic

Ianmic Guest

I've encoded a short mpeg with Tmpgenc. When adding it to a VCD layout with Roxio platinum it looks good (roxio says its in the right format for playing on a DVD). Then when I try to burn it, Roxio says "project differs from source" and recommends to check the layout. Stopping the recording and checking the layout, Roxio says all is fine - clicking "continue anyway" creates the disk. The new disk (a TDK CDR) won't play in my Awia DVD which supports VCDs (it seems to recognize the disk and PCB comes up on the LCD, but nothing happens).

Any suggestions?

I was hoping to get this short mpeg to work ok and then move on to burning .avi's I've recently downloaded.

Please let me know if I'm way off course (I tried to use NERO for burning, but after installing, my computer wouldn't recognize the CDR drive any longer so I had to do a system restore - windows XP)

Thanks in advance.

Ian

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

You need to "close" the disc (or finalize -- whatever the term, it means that your CD can't be added with more data). Also burn 4x or slower and don't use CDRWs.

3. Ianmic

Ianmic Guest

The "finalize" box is checked under options right B4 the disk is burned. I tried it at 4x, which is the slowest option - still won't play. There are three folders on the disk - cdda, segment, and vcd. It a TDK CDR.

4. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Hard to say as I don't use EZCD. Check if your player has any details in VCDHelp.com's DVD compatibility chart about VCD playback.

5. A_Klingon

A_Klingon Moderator Staff Member

lanmic.....

(I don't think I can help you, but)...

You got that awful message on you LCD readout *too*, huh?

"...it seems to recognize the disk and PCB comes up on the LCD..."

Do you mean, "PBC" comes up? <P>lay<B>ack<C>ontrol?

I use a Sony vcd burning program so I don't know about Roxio Platinum, *but* the few times I tried to make a vcd with Nero's demo software, the letters "PBC" showed up on my standalone Sanyo DVD player's LCD display.

I was *extremely* limited in what I could do with the vcd once that 'pbc' showed up!

I checked my Sanyo User's Manual, and there was ONLY this tiny little box which said:

"What Is "PBC"? - 'PBC' is an abbreviation for "Playback Control" that refers to control codes prerecorded on Video CDs. During playback of Video CDs with 'PBC', "PBC" appears on the display."

That is the *entire* sum total of information the manual gives me on 'PBC'.

What is being controlled? My vcd itself? My Sanyo player? Who is controlling it? I'm not.

Using the Nero software, I could only play the resulting vcd. I could not adavance or go back to a previous track. I could not fast-scan in either reverse or forward direction. The Sanyo's display wouldn't even tell me how many tracks were on the vcd, or how long the track(s) were.

Something does indeed seem to be controlled, and I don't like it.

(I'm only creating whitebook 1.1 (linear-play) vcds - no menus, still pics, etc.), not 2.0. My Sony burning software never gives me a "PBC" disc problem.

.... sorry I couldn't help .....

-- KlingonAgent --

6. Bandung

Bandung Member

I gave up on Roxio long ago because it is not capable of making a proper VCD. I don't know why, I only know that I couldn't do it. I use VCDEasy and no more problems.

I have also used Ulead's commercial packages but I did ot like their quality. The latest update has improved it somewhat. Its fast and it permits me to build a menu quickly so I use it when I am pressed for time. Otherwise, its VCDEasy!!