1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vcd's get cut off at the edges

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by animejunk, Aug 26, 2004.

1. animejunk

animejunk Member

I'am new to this site so don't heckel (i think thats right) me if this has been asked and answered a million times. When I make Vcd's the edges get cut off think I am zooming in or something. I use Nero to burn Vcds by the way.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

This is caused by your TV"s Overscan...
    There is about a 10% area arround the edges that your TV cuts off...They do this because with Interlaced Video (The Type your TV Displays) the edges can have a Jagged appearance so your TV cut it off so you don"t see it...

The Way to fix this is to add a Border arround the edges of the Video when you are encodeing the File to Mpeg1/VCD....

Tmpgenc can do this and so can most standalone Mpeg encoders but Tmpgenc is free for Mpeg1 encodeing...If you are useing Nero to encode your Files to VCD then you can"t do it with Nero..You shouldn"t use Nero for encodeing anyways because it"s encodeing Quality is just awefull compared to good encoders....

To add a Border arround the Video the setting you use in Tmpgenc is the "Clip Frame" settings in the "Advanced" tab and from there you can figure it out...
    Just make sure you select the Correct VCD Template depending on the Frame Rate of your AVI File, and after encodeing you Can still Burn the File to CD-R with NERO Just don"t let it re-encode the Video...

Good Luck

3. animejunk

animejunk Member

I guess Iam not as smart as you may think, but i dont know what this stuff means. what do i set the "top","bottom","left",and "right" to?

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

well you set it to whatever you feel like setting it to...Each number represents a Pixel, So if you set the Top and Bottom ,Left and Right to 10 then there will be a 10 pixel boarder arround the Image...You can see what the Border looks like in the window....

You want just enough Border arround the Image so the TV"s Overscan Just cuts off the Borders instead of the Video....