1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VCD's or SVCD's on DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bbydump, May 5, 2003.

1. bbydump

bbydump Guest

Ok, I can't burn my VCD's or SVCD's to my DVD+R. First of all, I only work with DIVX avi's and I want to get them all on DVD's.
    I've read alot of the past discussions on how many different people do it and there were many different ways discusses. I've spent the last 96 hours trying to get my avi onto my DVD+R to play in my standalone and I still can't do it. I have almost all the codecs, almost all the software I've seen referred, but still no go. I've used TMPEGnc Plus to convert my avi to MPEG2 for SVCD's, but when I go to burn it with Nero (the latest version) it doesn't recognize it as SVCD compliant and same with MPEG1 and VCD.
    What am I doing wrong? I even used VirtualDub and ran frame server at the same time I used TMPEG and that gave me nothing but a avi file with 0 kb's and the outfile that TMPEG gave me, which like I said is saying its NOT VCD & SVCD compliant. Furthermore, it MAKES me put it on a CD-R and my resulting MPEG1's or 2's are much higher then a CD-R and with one of my AVI's, it's 3 files, so I want to either merge them with DVDtool and put that big file on a DVD.
    But for VCD & SVCD it doesbnt give me the option to use DVD+R's. Also, my avi's are EXCELLENT audio & video and would like to keep close to the same on my outfile no matter how big or how long it takes. But I kep getting stuck in all these areas and I've tried everything I've read. Please help, thanks.

2. bbydump

bbydump Guest

Anyone???

3. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

You can't burn VCD/SVCD structures onto a DVD. VCD mpeg stream is very close to the DVD standard, but require 48Khz audio.

If you wish to maintain quality of your original AVIs, you should encode them as DVD compliant mpeg2 and burn after authoring.

If you are still interested in making VCD compliant streams to DVD, the new TMPGEnc DVD author software has a great feature of converting the audio stream for you. You can put loads of VCDs onto a DVD using it.

But I think your main problem is creating the source mpegs using TMPGEnc. You are using the templates/wizard to create mpegs from your AVIs?

Rgds,
    jnihil.

4. antifan

antifan Member

You can burn VCD or SVCD onto DVD-R, but first you have to have compliant (S)VCD MPEG's (and in the case of SVCD, you'll need to patch the MPEG header, to fool your authoring software into thinking that it's fully DVD compliant).

If you want to convert AVI to VCD, you will probably have to resize the image. VCD only supports a resolution of 352x240 (NTSC, used in N America & Japan) or 352x288 (PAL, used pretty much everywhere else). You should use 44100Hz 224kbit mp2 audio if you want a compliant (S)VCD (there are other possible bitrates, but that's the most common), but, as someone said above, the audio will have to be resampled to 48kHz if you want to put it onto DVD-R. Often DiVX files already use 48kHz audio.

Once you have a compliant VCD or SVCD MPEG or bin/cue file, then you should look at (S)VCD2DVDMPG, which is freeware. Don't have the URL on me, but it shouldn't be too hard to search for._X_X_X_X_X_[small]"There's a double meaning in that."
    -- W.S.[/small]

Last edited: May 7, 2003
  5. bbydump

bbydump Guest

Thans for the response. I'm ALMOST there...
    I used TMPGE to encode my first of two avi's. It took 2 days to encode the first avi. The video quality is almost identical to the avi's which is great, but I have NO SOUND! What happen to the Sound?
    I'm hoping that I can do an extraction of some sort to extract the sound from the original avi and mix it back in to my final mpg file that TMPGE gave me, but how do I do that and with what software? Virtual Dub? I have it, but I couldn't figure out how to do it?
    Please explain if anyone knows, thanks!

6. bbydump

bbydump Guest

Nevermind, thanks. I did a search of old messages and found out that I need to run the avi through VDub first with a few compression settings and then re-encode through TMPGE.
    Thanks all!

7. bee

bee Member

2 Days to encode the avi ?
    what system have you got bbydump ?
    i've had all the problems that you've had but i've slowly worked them out mainly by trial and error (lot's or error) and have now pretty much sussed it out ,but it only takes me about 60-90 mins to encode from avi (divX) to dvd compliant mpeg using TMPGEnc ,
    P4 2.4 GHz
    512 MB DDR RAM
    Just seem's a bit long (might be doing something wrong)

bee...

8. bbydump

bbydump Guest

yeah man, i have practically the same system. What am I doing wrong then? My file size is 750 mb's and I use the Highest quality motion search setting. Thats probably why. Do you use that setting as well? I use 1:1 vga input and 16:9 output and VBR 2 pass. What do you think the problem is? I have P4, 2.66 ghz 512 ddr sdram, 80 gb hd. It takes forever, but my final file is beautiful. If I can get the same result in a 90 minute encode, tell me how.

9. bee

bee Member

I'm no expert but i would think it's VBR 2pass thats making it take so long,
    I just done a little test and using the project wizard in TMPGEnc set at DVD(ntsc) ,MP2 audio,then changed it to VBR 2pass and highest quality motion search,it took 1h 2mins to encode a 4min 2sec music video (if the file was 1hr 30mins it would have took about 24hrs!!) i then encoded the same file using CBR @ 4000 kbs and motion estimate search,
    (Average bitrates are,
    VCD =1150 kbs
    SVCD =1500-2500 kbs
    DVD =3000-8000 kbs
    so 4000kbs is fairly high quality)
    it took 9 mins 17 sec without any difference in quality (could have proberly took the bitrate a lot lower without a difference in quality which would have meant a lot quicker).
    So if i was you i would chop one of your files down to about 50MB and experiment a bit with CBR till you get a comprimise of speed and quality that your happy with (i have it at about 1500 kbs which gives SVCD quality and means i can fit 3 films per DVD but then i'm not that fussy about Hi quality i'm happy if it just good quality).
    Hope this helps
    Bee....

P.S Remember a film that is encoded at 1500 kbs will not improve in quality if you encode it at 3000 kbs it will just waste space so don't set it to high unless the source file is very good quality.

10. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

CCE Basic has the option of 2 pass VBR and it's much faster than TMPGEnc, if speed is an issue. You can frameserve your AVIs via virtualdub into CCE.

Rgds,
    jnihil.