1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vcr connection s-video via DV camcorder

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by aptu, Sep 28, 2004.

1. aptu

aptu Member

Hi,
    I'm trying to convert my VHS tapes to DVD. I bought this Avermedia TV tuner card and wanted to convert via S-video. Since my VCR doesn't have S-video outlet thus i decided to do it via my DV Camcorder. For some reason i can hear only audio on my camcorder(while trying to check if that connection was working)...This same thing i did using firewire it runs perfectly (audio and video)... I know i can always do this technique but wanted to try the S-video quality output. Any help appreciated.
    Aptu

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

So you are saying that you are Going from VHS to DV Camcorder useing RCA cables but going from the Camcorders S-Video output to your TV Card"s S-Video input?? Is this Correct??

If so you would not achieve any Better quality going from from RCA to Camcorder and Camcorders S-Video out to TV Card because the Original Signal is from the VCR is being transfered to the Camcorder useing RCA cables which means the Luma and Chroma have allready been Mixed so you will actually get worse Quality than if you just went directly from VCR to TV Card Via RCA Cables....

Your Best Bet would be to Go from VCR to Camcorder Via RCA Cables and then from Camcorder to PC Via Firewire and Capture in it"s Native DV AVI format and Not use the TV Card at all.....

You are Probably not getting any Video because it is Difficult to Convert RCA composite Signal to S-Video ,This is because in an RCA output the Luma and Chroma have been Mixed but with S-Video the Luma and Chroma Chanels are seperate and it is Difficult to seperate the Luma and Chroma from a Mixed signal Like in RCA Ouputs, in many Cases you will get Black and White noisy signal or no signal at all.....

I hope this sort of explains it...

Cheers