1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vcr - dvd help!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by sookyroo, Apr 9, 2005.

1. sookyroo

sookyroo Member

what do i buy (cheepest)to convert a vcr to dvd using my computer.
    please help me this is a very important vcr of my mother who died when i was 4 of age.

2. gizmobob

gizmobob Member

You'll need a piece of hardware to rip the VHS media to digitize it on your PC. You can buy a Capture card or device. There are many different ones, giving many different results, some undesirable. Here is a webpage which has helped countless people with your same issue.

http://www.videohelp.com/capturecards

For the record, I have an external firewire device, the Canopus ADVC 100 ($300) which is very good. I use software like Premier and TMPGenc to rip, edit, and create DVD Compliant files to burn on disc.

3. sookyroo

sookyroo Member

thanks

4. sookyroo

sookyroo Member

ok imagine i have my equipment how do i tell the computer to burn the information coming in from my vcr player.

5. gizmobob

gizmobob Member

When you buy your capture card/device, you will probably receive software with it that will convert the Analog Stream to Digital format. The software will usually give you an option of AVI or MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 video formats. There are many in depth articles written already at http://www.videohelp.com/capture that I will not get into right now. They can be very time consuming and I don't think this is the forum to get into such an indepth discussion. Get your hardware and then seek me out for help if you need it.