1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VCR Tapes To DVD using ADVC 110

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by pak_ratt, Jan 30, 2005.

1. pak_ratt

pak_ratt Guest

I am new to this after reading the threads on this subject I am really confused. Is there a guide that explains the process utilizing the Canopus ADVC 110 to copy store bought vcr tapes to dvd? I understand the hookup of the ADVC 110 from the vcr to the computer. What program or programs are needed to caputre the output of ADVC 110 and encode the file so it maybe played on a stand alone dvd player hooked up to a wide screen hd tv and have a decent picutre?? Thanks New and Confused ????????

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well to Capture the Video from your ADVC-110 to your PC I would suggest a Free DV Capture Program Like WinDV or DVIO....

You can get DVIO here:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_tools/dvio.cfm

After Capture the DV AVI files to your PC you will need to encode them to a Mpeg-2 DVD Compliant Format useing Preferably a High Quality encoder but you can get away with useing something like "Tmpgenc Xpress" as it is Fairly cheap or you can use the Demo version of Tmpgenc which will encode to Mpeg-2 for 30 days...

After the Files have been converted to Mpeg-2 DVD Compliant Format you will need to use a DVD Authoring Program so you can add your menu"s and Chapters and to Format it all into a Video_TS folder which the Program will then Burn to DVD For you and that is it...
    If you want to use a Super simple DVD authoring Program Try "Tmpgenc DVD author" but if you want one with more features and one that Makes Nicer menu"s then Maybe try "MediaChance DVDLab".....

You must also realize that Retail VHS Movies are usually Protected By Macrovision copy protection which will Make it so you can not Capture the Video to your Hard drive so to Overcome this you will probably need to get a Video stabilizer which Hooks in between your VCR and the ADVC-110 and removes the Copy Protection and Helps Stabilize the Signal....

You can Pick up a Video Stabilizer for about $20-$30 on ebay but they are a Little hard to find sometimes....

Cheers

3. pak_ratt

pak_ratt Guest

Minion thanks for the info I'll give it a try. Any suggestions on a brand of video stabilizer?
    Thanks Again Ratt

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  5. pfh

pfh Guest

In my case I'm using Sima Copy This. Do a search for Sima stuff. I think Best Buy sells 'em

On another note, try and capture to mpeg from the start to save yourself some time. That is, unless you need avi for special editing needs.

I'm new too but I haven't done any avi stuff since I don't really know why you would need it if your plans are for dvd. You eventually need the mpeg for dvd creation anyways. Maybe I'm "all wet".

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

The reason why Poeple Capture to AVI First sometimes is Because when you use a Low Compression AVI format you will achieve MUCH Better Image Quality than if you were to Capture directly to Mpeg because mpeg is a Extremely Lossy Format and Mpeg Capture programs are not very efficient.....

You will generally Achieve better quality if you Capture to a Low Compression AVI format and then encode the Captured file useing a High Quality standalone Mpeg encoder and the File sizes are generally Much Smaller so you can Fit more Video on a Single DVD....

Cheers

7. RahJah_1

RahJah_1 Member

Prat Rat

I alos have a ADVC 110 & you don't need a video Stabilizer to copy VHS or DVD's with the copy right protection on them. To copy protected VHS or DVD's this is what you do.

During capture HOLD DOWN the input selector for about 5-10 seconds. While capturing (depending on what capture program you use) the capture will temporarily stop & then start again. At this point the microvision has been disabled. Once disabled it's good for as long as you keep the ADVC powered. When you shut down & come back the next day repeat the steps & you'll be good to go.

I learned this trick from reading this board & it works. I was able to copy Kill Bill the other night & burn it to a DVD.. The picture Quality is GREAT..

8. Minion

Minion Senior member

Thanx for the Info...I knew that the ADVC-100 had that Option but didn"t know if the ADVC-110 had it....Cheers

9. pak_ratt

pak_ratt Guest

Thanks for all the good info. I will have to try the disable trick with the ADVC 110. RahJah_1 What software did you use to capure and burn to DVD? Thanks again for all the good info. Minion I see your helpful posts all over this forum three cheers from all us Rookies :} Thanks Ratt

10. RahJah_1

RahJah_1 Member

Pak Ratt

I bought Pinnacle Studio 9 when I bought my PC. That is what I'm currently using to capture, edit & burn my DVD's. Honestly, I like the Pinnacle software. it's easy for me to use & so far I haven't had any of the problems that I have read on this forum in respect to Pinnacle. My only problem with it is that it's sloooooowww. I burned a 90 min DVD of transferred VHS tapes & it took 2 hrs & 20 min to burn. Granted the quality is great (due to the ADVC110) but it takes a while.
    So at this point I'm going to ignore the time & be glad that I have great quality. What I do now is edit my movies & then burn them while I'm asleep or while I'm out at work, or grocery shopping..etc. That way, when I get back...they're DONE.

11. berndu

berndu Member

Rahjah_1,

Did you purchase your ADVC-110 in the U.S.? I got a reply from one vendor stating that the ADVC-110 did not have the ability to disable macrovision. If true, I was wondering if there are versions sold in the U.S. and another version sold outside the U.S. that allows the user to disable the macrovision protection.

Thanks.

12. RahJah_1

RahJah_1 Member

Berndu,

I purchased my ADVC110 in the US. I doubt any vendor will endorse/confirm that the ADVC can disable the copy right protection put on commercial VHS & DVD's. It's one of those things that you find out from the day to day folks that use it who come to message boards like this one & speak on their experiences.
    I learned the "trick" to disable the copy right protection from another member on this board & it works.