1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VCR to DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Janian, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Janian

Janian Guest

I am completely new to this so apologies if this has already been asked --
    How do I tranfer my analogue video camera tapes (some of which are now on VCR tapes) to DVDs via my computer (2.8 gig chip, 50 gig spare hardisc space and 256 mb ram)? - Naturally I will have to buy a DVD burner but what else and will it all get expensive??
    Thanks in advance for any help

2. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest

Janian, do some reading at this link; You may elect to go with one of these methods. You can buy a component for less than 400 bills to do the trick. Plus, you may get so good at it that you may want to do it for your friends/clients for a nominal fee possibly? Let me know what you think.

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,117413,00.asp

3. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest

4. rhino351

rhino351 Regular member

you dont have to spend that much money to do this . you can get a box to convert it to usb and then to your computer. i use one from ads technologies called dvd express, you can get it at walmart supercenters for about $80 or online or ebay for probably cheaper. all it is, is a box that you plug anything with the 3 a/v cables into it and then it goes to your usb port and it comes with programs that you can edit with and add menus and scene selections and burn to dvd or vcd with. you can even plug your cable or satellite into it and record tv shows with it and then edit out commercials, and its alot cheaper than a standalone dvd burner. good luck

5. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

There's an entire forum here devoted to your question:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/79

In short, your PC won't cut it. Trust me. Cheaper to buy a cheap DVD recorder than an expensive capture card. Then you can edit the VOBs or convert to AVIs or MPEGs later.

6. Janian

Janian Guest

This is a great site
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. Having read some of the discussions on this, maybe 'dogbomb's' suggestion would be the least traumatic. I live in the UK and non-PC DVD recorders are still pricey (as is internet music - Is there a war to pay for somewhere?) Like everything else with a plug on it though, the prices will drop and I will buy.

7. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

or...another option....go to plextor.com....buy their MX402u....$150.....you can plug in anything has rca jacks....i am converting home movies on vhs....this will let you burn them directly to dvd...or you can put in on your HD...and edit it later..comes with intervideo win dvd creator..neat pgm....the quality is exactly what is on the tapes....and you don't need any pgm to convert the files to mpeg...the converter does it automatically...mpeg2...mpeg4...or divx...easy to use