1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Verbatim 4.7GB DVD-R 8x

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Rayzyn, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Rayzyn

Rayzyn Member

Everytime I try to burn DVD movie files produced by DVD Shrink in Nero 6 onto DVD-R they get to around 1% and fail. Should I worry about this or is it my cheap DVD burner? My DVD burner is OptoRite DD0405 and it has backed up atleast 20 of my other DVD movies and they were done on TDK DVD+R instead of DVD-R by accident, i have also tried another cheap brand of DVD-R called Sky Pro 8x DVD-R and the burner doesnt even recognize them. Is this a hardware or media problem?

2. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Man, you don't tell anyone much other than you can't burn. You can check to make sure your ASPI files are okay using Nero's InfoTool (click on last tab, ASPI). Have you tried decrypting to your hard drive first, and then using Nero to burn it, maybe at a slower speed? It's probably the cheap media, so you might want to try better name-brand media. But before you make anymore coasters, buy at least one DVD-RW for trial-and-error testing!

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

How fast are you trying to burn?You might want to slow it down to try.I love the verbatim +8x,these are branded. Do those -8x's have the verbatim branding on the inner circle or just plain numbers?

4. Rayzyn

Rayzyn Member

i always burn at 8x and it takes around 6 minutes with TDK DVD+Rs, i will look for TDK DVD-R and see how it goes, it might be my DVD burner.. It always takes a long time to access it and Nero says that The disc is busy or maybe faulty media" or something along the lines of that... I dunno if theres anything wrong with the Drive as its only 1 week old.

edit: How do you mean branded? Anyways the Verbatim is long gone, and i looked up the Sky Pro Media website and my Burner isnt on the compatibility list... So thats interesting :(

Last edited: Dec 23, 2004
  5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

"branded" means the disc has the name brand on the inner circle.These are usually a lot better quality.Unbranded just has ordinary numbers and probably lower quality.Your burner has firmware and specific media are listed for the firmware to be able to read certain discs then burn. Being a new burner,sounds like it didn't like those verbs.Verbatim,like most other brands, have multiple manufacturers.Some are excellent,like mcc, some are pure junk,like c-magnetics.Some of the low quality media,has to have a slow burn speed to work. Sticking with the higher quality media, a lot things can go wrong. Plus your stand alone players will play them better.Sticking with tdk,maxell,sony,and fuji should be ok,but they too have multiple manufacturers. Maxell has 4 different manufacturers,but all 4 are pretty good to excellent.Later

6. JAYRA

JAYRA Member

saugmon, are you saying that CMC Magnetics is a not so good brand? I just bought a bunch of Maxell -R and they all identify as CMC magnetics. They all seam to play perfect. Did I just buy a bunch of junk? This has me worried about my backups lasting a long time

7. teoleo

teoleo Member

8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

JAYRA,c-mags are on the lower end of the totem pole. Maxell's 4 different manufacturers are said to be ok overall. I got the maxell-4x yellow tops and they are coded mxl-rgo2.I specifically looked at the packaging for "made in japan".As long as they are performing on both your pc and your stand alones then you should be ok.I have been hearing that cmags are improving.Lasting a long time? who knows. Well some more experienced members are finding out their cheaper memorex discs are no longer usable"breaking down",some in less than 6 months.THis is due to lower quality dyes.Sticking with the "metal azo" dyes,they seem to be holding up longer. Dvd's came out saying they would last 100 + years. That's not even close. That is why you want to keep your originals,especially if it is like me,lot's of home video from vhs and 8 mm.

9. Rayzyn

Rayzyn Member

no worries people, the disc failed because my DVD burner did. Im returning it next week for a refund or exchange.

10. JAYRA

JAYRA Member

Thank you very much for you help Saugmon, I also have the yellow tops. I have identified my last 3 pack of yello top memorex for $8 that I gought at Wal-Mart & they all Id as Taiyo Yuden WOW! I was very impressed since my last 25 pack of yellow tops were CMC. I'm hoping memorex keeps this up.

Teoleo I went to your link for the HCMEDIA. Before I buy a 50 pack I was just wandering do you know who the manufacture is? I'm just a little fuzzy about media I've never heard of.

11. Shemyaza

Shemyaza Member

I usually get my best results in standalone players by burning these discs at 2X even though my burner can do 4X. I've had load problems when I've burned them at 4X. It takes longer, sure, but I have less errors that way. The DigitalMovie 4x's though when burned at 4X play with no problems on my standalones.